News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1948-52 Dim Stoplights

Started by Bob Schuman, October 02, 2017, 09:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Schuman

The stoplights and rear turn signals on my 49 and 51 Cadillacs are almost invisible to following drivers on sunny days. The cars are stock 6 volts, with halogen replacement bulbs in the rear lights, and I have checked the bulb aiming as Art Gardner described some time ago, but still I feel unsafe with people telling me my stoplights do not work.

Does anyone have a good fix to significantly improve the brightness and visibility of these lights? I mentioned 48-52 in the title, because I expect that the 12 volts system used in 1953 and later corrected this deficiency.

Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

bcroe

With new halogen bulbs, they should be fine.  If the same wattage as 12V, there
would be no difference in brightness. 

I suspect either the bulbs are not getting full voltage, or the red lens has
gotten more opaque with age (this happened to me).  Check it out. 
Bruce Roe

Caddy Wizard

Bob,

Here are some of my tricks for better brake lights:

Add an auxiliary ground wire to each housing.

Clean the inside of the lenses, especially the Fresnel lens portion.

Polish the outside of the lenses with plastic lens polish available from parts stores.

Polish the chrome plating in the lamp housing and make sure everything in there is spiffy clean.

Make sure that the basic grounding system of the body and chassis is PERFECT.  Clean the grounds at the firewall (which is how the body gets grounded), at the back of the cylinder heads, at the frame, and at the starter. 

You should be able to get decent illumination.  Personally, I also run a 6v PowerGen alternator, which keeps the voltage up when you take your foot off the gas and step on the brake.  Looks like a generator, but provides full voltage and good amperage at idle (when you need the brake lights to work).  I know that many will eschew such a change, but I have been very happy with these over the years.

One more thing to consider.  Sometimes the brake light switch is coming on at too high of a pressure and will not initially close the circuit unless you really mash the brakes.  So maybe a new switch is in order.  Ron Francis Wiring sells an improved version of the switch, one that comes on at a lower pressure.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I would suggest cleaning the bulb sockets. Spray them with contact cleaner and stick a piece of scotch Brite on the end of a screwdriver and twist. You will clean both the positive and negative sides of the socket at the same time this way. You will probably get a lot of crud off of them. I did that on the plane one year because the fuse would get warm (not hot). Did that and it runs much cooler now.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille