News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Intake Manifold Gasket Choice

Started by CarsandDrums68, October 12, 2017, 10:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarsandDrums68

Hello gentlemen,

I had a failed intake manifold gasket on my 1968 DeVille Convertible which caused a vacuum leak, so I'm going to take off the manifold, replace the gasket, and torque it plenty of times. My question is who makes a better intake manifold gasket, Fel-Pro, or Victor Reinz? I know they are both pretty good names but is there any benefits to one or the other. It is an aluminum valley pan and i will be using a high tack gasket sealer.

Thanks,
Al

tripwire

"and torque it plenty of times"

I'm not sure that's a good plan.  Depending on the final torque spec you might want to torque the bolts in stages rather than to the final number all at once.  eg. If you the spec says 30 ft/lbs. make your first pass at 15, then go over them again at 30.  If the number is high like 100 ft/lbs I'd say torque the bolts in 3 stages, 30, 65, 100. Obviously, following the pattern in the service manual.

WParo in VT
Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

CarsandDrums68

Exactly, I didn't mean all at once, i meant in increments as you said, which is a great plan. I believe they are supposed to be 60 foot pounds. When I found the problem some of the bolts were loose, so I want to make sure I torque it once, and then maybe again after a week or so of running it.