News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hemmings follow through?

Started by gary griffin, October 15, 2017, 04:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

V63,

I am not posting I am trying to connect with a seller in Hemmings. I am a potential and serious buyer for the vehicle advertised in Hemmings and am not able to contact him (Or her) due to inaction by Hemmings.  I wondered when I advertised there why I only got one response. My car was priced to sell and had great photos. Now I just believe they do not take care of business and the blind contact system they use is ineffective when not being kept up to date by listing agent. Hemmings should send contact information to buyer or seller within 24 hours of a valid query or they are negligent in my opinion.  A big waste of money surviving on previous glory ???

My last post was in response to people not using this venue enough for buying and selling.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bobby B

Quote from: V63 on October 17, 2017, 08:50:35 AM
Let’s view this as a good thing for the true collector as the dollar frenzy is removed, its a more relaxed trade at acceptable prices .

And not good for any of us who purchased HIGH, and invested in parts when they were HIGH. Again, not to profit, but more so regarding our hobby and how expensive it all of a sudden became, and now our fun driving investments are worth WAY less than they were a few years ago. Thanks again to all the High Rollers and Speculators who think that they're "Car Guys" because they overpaid for something because they had to have it...... >:D
                                                                                                              Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

V63

The relay system is just another hassle we have to deal with anymore because of proliferation of losers. It’s not ideal, but a compromise. There is the option that you can post your phone number or email in the ad too.

I’ve found by calling hemmings, with a problem, that they are very helpful.

The price fluctuation issue can be viewed as a glass half full or half empty. I found that with the accelerating prices...I really lost interest. Now that values have relaxed, it’s a more pleasant experience going forward and I can look forward to acquiring another car.

gary griffin

As prices recede like the outgoing tide some will be astonished at the paper loss they are taking.  A change in value is not a loss or a profit until you sell.  I was talking to a member who sold his car for$15,000 less than he paid for it 5 years earlier for example.

If I were to want to sell something and not put my real phone number in the advertisement I would buy a prepaid cell for under $50 that I could just activate for special occasions like selling something on the internet. Leaving it in a charger and only answer it when I was expecting calls regarding advertisements.

In addition to that I have yet to hear from seller or Hemmings  about the cars I am interested in.
Gary Griffin

Bobby B

Quote from: gary griffin on October 17, 2017, 08:11:21 PM
If I were to want to sell something and not put my real phone number in the advertisement I would buy a prepaid cell for under $50 that I could just activate for special occasions like selling something on the internet. Leaver it in a charger and only answer it when I was expecting calls regarding advertisements.

Gary,
At the rate you're going, that phone will last you a Lifetime  ;D ;D ;D.........
                                                                                        Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

gary griffin

Still no response from car on Hemmings. almost 2 weeks and about 5 requests to Hemmings. If I had ran my business like that I would certainly not be in the Cadillac club today. 
Gary Griffin

m-mman

Ok, here is how you get Hemmings attention - Post under the comments section on their Hemmings Daily News.  (I suspect that you are already subscribed to it)

Here is what I did:
They run a recurring segment called 'The $5000 challenge'. They select 5 cars priced less than $5000 and ask people which one they would purchase. They do this to promote affordable cars but ALSO to direct traffic to their ads. Not a bad idea.

About a year ago I decided to check each of the $5000 cars shown in the daily mailing and NONE were in my print edition(!)   ???
I posted to the comments under the challenge and complained that my print edition was not worth anything as it did not list ALL the ads. That day I was put in contact with a Hemmings representative who told me that they only 'feature' the online ads and that they consider the print ads a pain and that only 'old people' run print ads. I was also told that print ads ARE NOT all automatically posted on line.  It seems that there are two completely different Hemmings online and print. . . . ?   >:(

Because of this I have decided to NOT renew my print subscription. What good is it?

Anyway,
Tomorrow there will be a Hemmings "Find Of The Day" that features and attracts attention to a particular ad. Under the article post a comment that the ads are worthless because you cannot connect with a seller explaining how you are a serious buyer for a listed car and there is no evidence that Hemmings is forwarding your message to the seller.

You should be contacted quickly. Hemmings would NOT want publicity that they do not pass along the information to the seller.

Hemmings reads and approves your message to the seller.
When your message is passed to the seller Hemmings SHOULD also notify you with proof that the message was delivered to the seller. (if the seller doesnt call you back there is little Hemmings can do)
It seems like Hemmings is filtering your inquiry(?) Hemmings may want to cut down on spam to their advertisers but really, if you want the contact information for a car that was advertised they should pass it along TO YOU quickly! Hemings should NOT be a intermediary.

If a buyer has no proof that their message is getting through there is little reason to read or respond to any of the ads.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

Bobby B

J.
  Hi. Very Interesting and Informative.......
                                     Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

gary griffin

J.

I agree with everything you said.  I see no reason the buyer would not contact me as I gave enough information that he could verify, It is an estate sale so possibly there is a gap in communications there.  The car is in New Mexico and I verified there is a bank where the car is and I can pay cash. One time I was flying to buy a car and I alerted the local branch of my bank of my probability of needing a large sum and since I was going on a weekend they thanked me for the alert. I picked up the money when they opened Saturday, and told them I may be redepositing in a few hours.  I locked the cash in the trunk of my rental car and drove a few miles to inspect the car.  Good car and good seller, opened the trunk and became the owner of my 1940 LaSalle 4 door convertible. I left the car behind and had it shipped.  If there had been any question about the owner such as scams I would have driven it to a safe storage or even had it hauled to storage by a roll back auto carrier.  There are scams out there but most of the people are O K.
Gary Griffin

Fred Pennington 25635

Gary, you are experiencing exactly what I did.
If the listing has the VIN number, GOOGLE it. Every listing on the internet will come up.
That is how I found the car I bought in July, ( Sorry not a Cadillac )
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

gary griffin

Well the cars are now gone from Hemmings.  A beautiful 95% restored LaSalle roadster and a kit car (Parts and ??) 1929 Phaeton.  Enough work to last the rest of my life and too much for the previous owner as his estate was selling.  I hope a club member or future club mender got them!!
Gary Griffin

gary griffin

The advertisement was unclear about the second car as to how many parts there were and also no comment in ad about the missing  5% for the roadster.   Here is a clear example of FLY AND BUY. Cars were in New Mexico and I am near Seattle.  Possibly I was too harsh on Hemmings??.  They should have got me and the owner together in case an offer fell through. Again I hope they were in the club or at least will come into the club.  The Phaeton of that era were magnificent in my humble opinion.  Last year I ended up on Judging LaSalles  at the fall festival and the Phaeton was beautiful but a few minor items kept it from 1st place.
Gary Griffin

Fred Pennington 25635

WOW, I'm in New Mexico and have heard nothing of these cars.
For sale or other wise.
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

gary griffin

Fred,

I called a few New Mexico member numbers from the directory and left couple of messages but te cars were in Clovis on the East side of the state and  never connected with anyone so gave up.

I think Hemmings should have said Sale Pending in the online listing though. I was almost packed and ready to roll.  Not enough information in the listing to make such a decision.

Love the early LaSalle Phaetons though as I have mentioned before!  Deciding factor would have been which parts were included and condition of course
Gary Griffin

V63

One possibility, is hemmings did relay the message...however the seller may have already had a deal working? Hemming would not know of a sale pending unless notified by the seller.

gary griffin

I did use Hemmings once and sent messages to respondents.  If I had an good offer (The offers I got were ridiculous Low Ball offers)  I would at least have responded " Offer in hand I will notify you if it fails"   or something to that effect.  Just a standard courtesy.
Gary Griffin