News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Car being used in a photoshoot-any experience?

Started by Dulcidog2, October 19, 2017, 06:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dulcidog2

I Briefly had my car on Craigslist this summer. Got a call from someone claiming to want my car for a photoshoot. With all the scams tied to craigslist just wondering if this may not be legit. He game me a price he would pay for the day .Also stated approximately where it would be. It sounds legit but Im guessing they all do .? If anyone has used their car in ads or movies what is the going rate ?
I am being a bit paranoid Im sure ,open to thoughts
Thanks Bill 14869

D.Smith

Get a contract with a specified $ amount.  Proof of their insurance.  And insist you bring the car and be with the car at all times.     But it does sound sketchy.    I can't imagine any video company would be looking at Craigslist ads for cars to use.

Lexi

I have tons of horror stories about classic cars involved in movie shoots, (and they were the legit ones). So yes, while watching for scams is always an issue, you can also run into all sorts of problems with the so-called "legit" shoots. Too much to begin writing about, but if you decide to get involved re-read Dave's reply to your post as is good advice. I would insist that the contract also specify precisely how the car will be used and under what conditions, storage, how it will be transported to a location, mileage to be incurred, etc. I would add a clause stating that an additional reasonable sum for cleaning be included. Meaning that you will receive those funds to have the car detailed by a professional of your choice. I would also prefer to deal directly with those doing the shoot rather than any middle man. You are not being 'paranoid' Bill. Clay/Lexi

gary griffin

Lots of good advice. I would say there are two separate categories here. In one you provide the car and control it such as driving it to a position where they can get the shots they want. You would have full control and knowledge in this one. I see no big issue!

In the other category you would be allowing someone else to drive it and possibly out of your control and in this one take full precautions as mentioned above.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

David Greenburg

Also, google the outfit and ask for references.  Make sure you are comfortable. A number of years ago I got a call from someone wanting my '59 for a photo shoot. They wanted to send a truck to pick it up. I was very skeptical. I asked for references,and was given the names of all the top people in our region.  Turns out the photographer was Ron Kimball, the guy who shoots many of the old car calendars and is one of the premier automotive photographers.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

cadillac ken

You are not being paranoid.  Unfortunately, this is the world we live in now.  I have checked out everything and researched it to death before I proceed with any transaction these days. Remember it's your car. 

If it aint gonna go the way you want it to then say g'bye.

Fred Pennington 25635

I would probably turn it down.
Your insurance company won't pay for damages when used commercially and yes this will be a commercial venture, someone is making money on it.
Insurance will not pay for a car that is coerced from you. If you give up the keys for any reason and they don't return with it, tough luck.

Just my 2 cents 
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

jagbuxx #12944

I've had numerous requests, offers and business cards left wanting to use one of my cars for a commercial or album cover etc, never felt the desire or need to do it.
No one will be as careful with your car as you.....
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Caddyholic

I used mine for a coupe of wedding shoots. I was with the car the whole time. In one they wanted to drive around the block and take pictures. I drove and the photographer sat in the passenger seat. I charged  them $100 for 15 min of actual shoot time. If it was a professional shoot for and ad or something like that  I would charge at least $100 hr from the time you leave your house to you get back. with a 2 hr minimum. 
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

chrisntam

Not to throw a wet blanket on renting a car out for a wedding photo shoot, but why on earth would a couple want to have their picture taken in a car they have no connection to?

Seems weird.

Fast forward 15 years:

Son: Dad, was that yours and moms car you guys were in when you got married?

Dad:  No son, we just rented that car to have our wedding pictures taken with it.

Son:  That's stupid. 

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have used my cars for weddings, but only for friends and relatives, and they have always used the cars as a part of their photography sessions.

But, weddings are different, as the owner/driver of the vehicle is always there to ensure that nothing happens to damage the vehicle.

I don't charge for weddings, and as a result, I don't use my cars for un-related weddings, as they are a pain in the backside to do as once one starts doing weddings for profit, the cost of insurance, registrations etc climb, and ones' spare time is completely eroded.

Another reason I don't do formals.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Thankfully they don't use Confetti at weddings any more as the dye from the pieces would stain the upholstery when it got wet, and it was very hard to clean up.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I agree with Tassie's point and what several others have said on this.

The only weddings I have done is for a few friends.  Once you engage
in a "for profit" business your insurance may take a dim few of your
activities.  You will most likely not be covered for this.  Also, letting anyone
else drive your vehicle (especially without you) is a great risk in the
event of any accident insurance-wise.

Since I have invested quite a bit of time, effort and money in my cars,
it's just not worth the risk and hassle to me.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Lexi

Yep, and I did not delve much into the insurance perils in my earlier post. Presumably their insurance would cover all costs in the event of a claim (with your insurer probably taking a dim view and a pass on coverage). They did not build all those skyscrapers by paying out a lot of claims! What coverage would you ultimately have? Who wants to find out! Agreed that there are basically the 2 types of shoots as noted in Gary's post, and you did not provide specifics. The posts that followed definitely addressed the major risks involved given various situations. Frank was right when he said "No one will be as careful with your car as you". If the shoot involves you losing control of your car; i.e. them shipping it to a location, storing it, others driving it, etc... watch out! An informal shoot among friends-helping a buddy out for a wedding, that sort of thing is further down my risk list but as my dad used to say, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions". The devil is always in the details so take all suitable, reasonable precautions. Clay/Lexi

Caddyholic

Quote from: chrisntam on October 19, 2017, 09:37:50 PM
Not to throw a wet blanket on renting a car out for a wedding photo shoot, but why on earth would a couple want to have their picture taken in a car they have no connection to?

Seems weird.

Fast forward 15 years:

Dad:  No son, we just rented that car to have our wedding pictures taken with it.

He got a hold of the clc in stl and they sent a email to the members asking for a cadillac convertible. He has a thing for old cadillacs. Most people rent limos they have no connection to. Life would be very boring to never take some risks.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

marty55cdv

I had a positive experience allowing my cars to be used in a TV show being filmed here locally in Salt Lake,  the show was called Granite Flats, I became comfortable enough with the "Transportation Captain" that I would leave my car with him while I went to work, I was paid 250.00 cash for each car per use which most of the time they just sat on the street for background , my cars are nice drivers and driven often so if something were to happen it wouldn't be the end of the world. I was always allowed to be on the set if I chose and enjoyed breakfast, lunch etc. Not to mention the experience of seeing how these productions are made. Over the shows run I made enough money to put electricity and sheetrock / insulation in my garage.  I now have photos framed and hanging in my garage from different scenes.  I have attached one shot.
Marty Smith
  CLC #22760
41 60 Special http://bit.ly/1Wm0GvT
55 CDV http://bit.ly/1G933IY
56 Fleetwood
1958 Extended Deck http://bit.ly/1NPYhGC
1959 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OFsrOE
1960 Series 62 Coupe
1960 Sedan DeVille  4 window Flattop
63 Fleetwood http://bit.ly/1iSz17J
1964 Eldorado http://bit.ly/1Wm17GA  (Living in California now)
1988 EBC http://bit.ly/1iSACKz

TJ Hopland

I just loaned some props to a production that took place in 72 and I asked the person I was dealing with where they got the cars.   Sounds like the main 2 cars which was a Camaro like thing and a police car that characters drive in the movie came from a rental company in LA.   The big productions use a service usually based in LA that owns a ton of their own cars and has their own fleet of transport rigs.   Some of them are big enough that they can supply 100's of cars from a specific era. 

These big rental companies apparently have partners or agents in major cities that know and work with local clubs.   The local cars end up being 'extras' and are often just parked or are seen in a quick shot just driving down the street.  Sometimes there is some sort of contract and pay.   Other times its more of a club event where people just show up and park and then hang out in a tent near by and watch the shoot (which is almost always really boring).  I would imagine the local agent keeps and builds their own database of contacts and cars of people willing to consider participation.   

The recent production I loaned the stuff to apparently involves the cop car getting destroyed.   Apparently a local club member had a similar car he was or did part out for sale so they bought it and quickly painted it to look enough like the cop car that they switched it out when it was time for the fire.   

There can be a lot of politics involved in 'real' movie shoots and there are cities and states that can make it tough for productions.   Its odd stuff like paying LA union scale to shoot in a cornfield and tax stuff.   Some places have incentives where they pay productions to come to their city.  Its a big mess and that is even before you start to try and start shooting.   Those are the sorts of reasons some places have lots of production going on and others have very little.   Most big cities have a 'film board' that helps productions find and get permits to shoot and has contacts for things like cars and extras.    Popular places to shoot like Times Square or the Vegas Strip likely have their own boards with several employees.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

gary griffin

There used to be a registry for classic and odd vehicles in Seattle area because many films were being shot here.

The TV show "Twin Peaks" was filmed in Roslyn Washington and A guy I knew back then worked as an extra. primarily because his old truck had a Bulldog hood ornament and he parked it in front of the tavern and drank beer during the street shots. I don't think he was ever on TV, just the truck.

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: chrisntam on October 19, 2017, 09:37:50 PM

Seems weird.

Fast forward 15 years:

Other than things like the bride's dress and the rings, I think most things are often "rented" for weddings including the tuxedos, church/temple, reception venue, limousine, etc.   I'm sure most newlyweds seen in pictures in and around a limousine didn't actually own that limousine nor have any connection to it.  I don’t think a couple choosing to rent something different, like a classic car or even a horse drawn carriage, to use over a traditional contemporary limo for photo shoots is weird or stupid.

chrisntam

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on October 22, 2017, 12:17:43 PM
Other than things like the bride's dress and the rings, I think most things are often "rented" for weddings including the tuxedos, church/temple, reception venue, limousine, etc.   I'm sure most newlyweds seen in pictures in and around a limousine didn't actually own that limousine nor have any connection to it.  I don’t think a couple choosing to rent something different, like a classic car or even a horse drawn carriage, to use over a traditional contemporary limo for photo shoots is weird or stupid.

Of course most things are rented.  They are generic - tuxes look alike, limos look the same, churches are similar.  A classic car stands on its own.  When I got married (the first time), pics were taken in the church, at the reception and at my '55 Chevy (we both had a connection to that car).  Second marriage no car pics were involved, that marriage stuck!

I just think it's pointless to have a really cool car in your wedding pictures and it's not yours.  I guess he didn't want to use his Geo Metro..... 
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Lexi

As Chrisntam rightly pointed out most things are rented, from tuxes to the Limo and all look more or less the same, (though there are classic Limos for hire). But you can only take that debate so far. Getting married is a special event in a couple's life with the honeymoon supposedly being the ultimate 'vacation' in a sense. So why not a classic car somewhere in your shoot? Similar to getting a shot of you and the new spouse at a historical landmark or on on the deck of the Queen Mary at Longbeach, California, for example. That is the time to do new things and have an adventure, to infuse that 'wow' factor into your big day. For many people it will be the most lavish time of their lives, (and the most costly). If you want your pics to look like they have all pppped out of the Sears catalog, then go for what most everyone else does. I think it comes down to personal taste, but I certainly don't see anything odd with a couple wanting to have a photo taken of themselves on their big day, in a classic car. Some of them even opt for the horse drawn carriage ride.

It is largely about ambiance and the adventure of having a lavish time spent on yourself knowing that after the honeymoon real life begins. Having a classic car not owned by the couple in their shoot should not be taboo, as they also did not own the Limo that took them to the Church. Yes, both are pretentious, but its their time to be King and Queen for a day. They don't own the Church either, and some opt for old school Ecclesiastic charm to escape the un-inspired, institutionalized look of many modern Churches. Some don't even regularly attend Church. It is all 'fake' in that sense.

I have friends who will never be able to afford a classic car but wanted one in their wedding. That was as close as they ever got to having one. They actually DID have a connection to the cars, but not in the sense of ownership-but in the fact that they had a passion for them all their lives. Just something they wanted to do and their wedding gave them that opportunity. You don't have to have a physical connection to a classic car in order to have a connection with them. Many of us have had that same connection since we were young, which developed into the passion that we now enjoy. Most of us just happen to be the lucky ones as we currently own a vintage automobile and can experience the classic car dream on a daily basis.  Clay/Lexi