News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

67 Eldorado heated bucket seats

Started by D.Smith, November 03, 2017, 08:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.Smith

Am I crazy but did I read somewhere (in a data book)  that you could get bucket seats or a bench with heated seats but not both?  This car has both.   The letter A in the body tag options indicates the Heated Seat option according to my chart.    But the interior trim of 451-S is odd to me.    Buckets were 451-B.      Also, there is a staple on the tag that indicates a special order slip was attached.     So could the 451-S indicate "Special" ??     Am I right in thinking that heated seats and buckets are a special order?   

James Landi

Take a look at this <Michael Stanton special... he has a video that really hypes these options.   https://www.flickr.com/photos/148077492@N02/sets/72157689859194216   Happy day,  James

jdemerson

Quote from: D.Smith on November 03, 2017, 08:13:18 AM
Am I crazy but did I read somewhere (in a data book)  that you could get bucket seats or a bench with heated seats but not both?  This car has both.   The letter A in the body tag options indicates the Heated Seat option according to my chart.    But the interior trim of 451-S is odd to me.    Buckets were 451-B.      Also, there is a staple on the tag that indicates a special order slip was attached.     So could the 451-S indicate "Special" ??     Am I right in thinking that heated seats and buckets are a special order?   

David,

I've checked the 1967 Data Book, but don't have a clear answer to your question.  Here is the description of seat warmers:
Seat Warmers
For added cold weather comfort Seat
Warmers are available for the front
seat cushion and seat back (rear seat
and seat back only on Seventy-Five
body styles). Heating elements located
beneath the seat surface may be turned
on or off by a switch on the instrument
panel. Switch turns off automatically
when car heater provides adequate interior
warmth.

You are right that letter A is "Seat Warmer", and it was a stand alone option on all models including Eldorado. Same for B indicating bucket seats. I can't find an indication of whether "A" was available only on bench seats; perhaps that information is there and I missed it. There is a very large amount of material of special orders. Most of this is about such things as exterior colors, interior colors, cloth replacing leather, special leathers, non-perforated leather, carpets, strato-bucket seats, and on and on. But I don't find reference to seat warmers on bucket seats other than an indication that "A - seat warmer" was sometimes a specification in a Special Order. My guess is that your speculation is right, but perhaps someone else will confirm.

Perhaps the first question is: "Did any 1967 Cadillac with bucket seats come from the factory with seat warmers?"  If so, that makes your explanation seem very likely.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

jdemerson

James Landi's post above settles the question. There was at least one 1967 Eldorado with leather bucket seats, headrests, and heated seats.  See the following video for detailed information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m-4djznSpI

That is an amazing Eldorado!

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X

D.Smith

The body tag I posted my question about is from that car in the video.     So yes, there is at least one car with buckets and a heated seat option. 

Too bad they don't have the original paperwork from the selling dealer or first buyer.   The bill of sale he shows is from when the car was sold to the second owner two years later.   The window sticker (if it exists) would be great to see.   You would think if a person special ordered a new Cadillac they would save the window sticker.   Especially one as hot as those cars were when they first came out.

I don't put much faith into what these seller/flippers say in their videos.   

jdemerson

Quote from: D.Smith on November 03, 2017, 10:00:19 AM
The body tag I posted my question about is from that car in the video.     So yes, there is at least one car with buckets and a heated seat option. ...

I don't put much faith into what these seller/flippers say in their videos.

David,

You have raised a fascinating question here.  Was a model with this optional equipment generally available in 1967, or is this car a Special Order?  In general I share your cynicism about seller's videos, but in this case I've watched the video after looking pretty carefully at the Eldorado sections of the 1967 Data Book. I don't see discrepancies.

I can find nothing in the Data Book that says or implies that Option A (seat warmers) and Option B (bucket seats) could not be ordered together. In this case, the seats are leather. The car has front discs and every other option save one. The color is a fairly rare Firemist. So I'm betting you are right that it was special ordered. My guess is that the seller doesn't know whether this particular car was a Special Order. Your questions is essentially: Did it HAVE to be a special order because of A and B both being on the same car (and with the leather seats and headrests)?  I'll bet that someone out there will know the answer, but unless I missed something the Data Book doesn't give the answer. Perhaps one of the service publications does.

FWIW I agree with the seller that this model is one of the all-time most beautiful cars ever produced.

Thanks, David,
John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

What are those vents outboard of the trunklid? Are they vents for the rear defog?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Whatever the car's equipment, however rare, the asking price is rather optimistic to say the least, IMHO. Especially for being a repaint "that has flaws" according to the seller's own admission.

Generally speaking I find most optional equipment as having little bearing on value in most older Cadillacs- the exception perhaps being air conditioning and even at that, is realistically no greater than 10%.

Lack of air will impact most as you move toward the late '60s and beyond where it was still optional.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

D.Smith

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on November 04, 2017, 12:27:32 PM
What are those vents outboard of the trunklid? Are they vents for the rear defog?
Jeff

Those are for the flow thru ventilation.  Apparently they didn't help any more than the vents in the door jamb as they were eliminated after 67.

Matt CLC#18621