News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Just bought a 1975 Cadillac fleetwood talisman

Started by Mseumeren, November 05, 2017, 12:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mseumeren

Hi Everyone,

I'm new and I signed up because I just bought a 75 fleetwood talisman with a very interesting history.

Although I'm very happy with the new caddy there is just one thing I find unusual for this car.
It has no cruise control.. I have heard of one person who is a cadillac fanatic that a lot of fleetwoods from the 70's did not have cruise control. Is this true? Was it an option as well for the Talisman? 

Thanks guys and I would appreciate all the information I could get!

1975 Cadillac fleetwood talisman

jsanford

Congrats! Very cool car.
Talisman was an appearance option group so it did't really feature any mechanical options like cruise control. Cruise was $100, which was still a nice chunk of change even for a Cadillac buyer in 1975.
http://automotivemileposts.com/cadillac/cadi1975optionalequipment.html

Jeremy
Jeremy
Sacramento, CA
1980 Seville
1981 Eldorado
2016 ELR

TJ Hopland

I too assumed that most Cadillac's would have had cruise especially by the 70's but just a closer look at my own fleet indicates that wansn't the case.    I have 3 73 Eldo converts all quite differently equipped, only one with cruise.   The one with cruise has the least other stuff.   Another one appears to have every option but cruise. 

I wonder if its partly the stereotype of the rich guy that doesn't like to spend money?   I don't use cruise so I'm not paying for it. 

I also think it was more common for people to order cars then rather than take what is on the lot.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Mseumeren

Thanks guys!

I appreciate the help and information!  :D

This car has a few minor things to be fixed, any experience with a ticking A/C unit by coincedence? Placed by the feet of the passenger seat.Now I have to drive with window open to fully relax.

Also I was think of converting the R12, does this influence value of the car? Air is relatively cool but not like what you would like it to be.
When Air is turned off it can get pretty warm inside the car.

Working on getting the car in top condition.

Regards,
Matt

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I would strongly recommend sticking with R12. Not only will the system work better but it will be far less inclined to leak the refrigerant as R134a conversions are notorious for doing.

Sounds like an interesting car. Feel free to post some photos when you get the chance.

Welcome to the CLC Forum.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Mseumeren

Hi guys,

To pleasure your needs I have pictures in three parts - first the exterior.

Mseumeren

Thanks for posting these photos. Appears to be an exceptional example. Congratulations on your acquisition.

Be sure to join the Cadillac & LaSalle Club!

chrisntam

Not to sound creepy, but I wanna lay down in the back.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

jagbuxx #12944

Definitely a beauty.
I just went thru a/c repairs last week on my '75 & '76.
Replaced leaking compressors on both cars plus the v.i.r. Unit on the '75.
Kept them both on R12...... $2775 later I have cold air again.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

m-mman

Chrisntam,
If it was a 1974 Talisman you could NOT have laid down in the back seat.  ;)
Some saw that a step down for 1975.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

MeToo

I had mine regassed with R-134 in 2008, after replacing the VIR unit. at the risk of speaking too soon, have had no issues. It won't blow as cold as R12 but R134 will be fine if you're not in a tropical climate.

EAAR

What a flashback.  My dad had a Fleetwood Talisman Brougham, not sure of the exact year, had most of the same interior except his had a console in the rear also.  I don't know how true it is but I heard said that there was an option that included a ice bucket to fit in the rear console and a name plate to go at the top of the desk.

Scot Minesinger

Great color combo.

I have converted over a dozen Cadillacs from R12 to r134, and the 1970 and older do not seem to do as well.  However, the 1971 (especially the 1974 and newer) work really well.  I drove a 1975 Talisman with an r134 charge 200 miles on a hot 95'F sunny afternoon on the highway with it set on "low" and was completely comfortable.  It will easily manage 100'F sunny days set on auto.  One 1976 Fleetwood I changed to r134 and the owner said it was too cold.

The ticking at your passenger feet is the programmer starting to go (or it has gone).  That is a fairly easy replacement, read shop manual - and be sure to calibrate it - very easy.  Cadillac Tim (google, he is in Iva, SC) rebuilds them.

Enjoy!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

INTMD8

I have nothing much of value to add to this other than to say, I don't care about or ever use cruise control. 

Forgot my car(s) had it until I read this post.  So, doesn't so much surprise me that someone may order a car without it, at a time when that was an option.

Scot Minesinger

Cruise control is nice.  I use it on my 1970 SDV when driving on the highway.  It amazes me that this was an option back then (guess 1959 was first year), and it works very well.  Even in busy Metropolitan Washington, DC there are opportunities to use it. 

The options of the 1970's and 1960's I cannot live without are tilt/tel steering column, automatic turn lights on when dark (twilight sentinel), trunk release.  I always add those on if the car did not include them when I bought it.  Climate control or a/c is nice, but I would not add that on, but rather just buy a car with it if I have to have it.  Then cruise and other options I can live without, but probably like to have.  I'm adding dual comfort seats to one of my 1970 Cadillacs right now - floor pan has to be modified.  We should start a thread on this - options you have to have.  I wish that 1970 offered reclining seats like in 1976 and newer (maybe it was earlier, but I know not back to 1970).

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

slowpoke17

Very nice car, I agree those seats look really comfortable. Did the Talisman come standard with that center console? Looks original but still custom?
John Federico

Front center console was a part of the Talisman package; 1974 had one in the rear as well. It was the only year that was done.

cadillacmike68

Nice,

What years was the Talisman offered; just 1974 & 75 or was it also kept for 1976? What about 1973? I can't remember.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike