News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Scams on the "wanted to buy" forum

Started by Rob Leech, November 07, 2017, 08:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Leech

Put out a "wanted to buy" part on the forum about a month ago. Put my cell phone number on it so I could be easily reached if anyone had the part. Got a txt message this morning from "John" that he knew someone that had the part and gave me an email address to contact the part owner. Soooo, I naturally fired off an email to enquire about the part. The answer came back quickly that yes they had that part and could ship it in 24 hours. Just send my payment through Wall Mart payment services and the part would be mine. I thought well, this is great, so I inquired about more parts that I wanted. The answer came back almost immediately that yes they had those parts too. The prices were ridiculously cheap!! It crossed my mind that this is all to good to be true when they had the first part I wanted, and then when they had more parts, I knew this was BS. So I asked for pictures of the parts. That's when all communication ended. Be Careful before you pay for a part on "WTB". I got lucky, they made a few mistakes and I caught on. We all seem like good old boys on this forum and almost all of us are just that. But there are a some bad apples that read "WTB". Check things out carefully and I only use Wall Mart services when the kids are broke.
Rob Leech 1956 Eldorado Convertible

Bobby B

Rob,
Hi. There are more scams going on now than legitimate deals. People are getting desperate and have resorted to this nonsense. By now, everyone should know that when you see a deal that's too good to be true, it is. Always be on your guard. Once in a while I like to toy with these people. It's fun...... >:D
                                                                                                                                                                               Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Rob Leech

Yeah, when you see the next one, ask them if they have your hub cap bearings and blinker fluid. lol

David Greenburg

if they’ve got Corvair radiator caps in stock it’s time to run.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

The Tassie Devil(le)

If you have to, pay with PayPal, and then it might be possible to reclaim your money.

NEVER EVER pay with Western Union.

I got caught way back in 2001.

The only real way to do something like this is to find a local person, who you can trust, like a CLC Member, or a member of one of your car, boat, camera etc clubs, and have them collect the part/s, and do the deal for you.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jmurrayent

Yup, be careful, I just got a bogus reply from somebody named C Gully by email on my WTB post here.  At first I was excited, but after reading the vague reply, I could tell it was a scam.  The good news is, 99% of the time you can filter them out by corresponding with them and asking for photos, details, ect.  Scammers can't usually answer detailed question or don't take the time to. 

The older generation seems to have a tougher time detecting scams.  My dad is 72 and I filter through his craigslist responses for him whenever he tries to sell something, his generation seems to take people for their word, strange concept these days........too bad
J. Allen Murray
1950 62 Convertible
1952 62 Coupe
(3) 1953 62 Coupes
1954 Eldorado
1965 Deville Convertible
1970 Deville Convertible
Many 50-53 coupe and sedan parts and cars

Rob Leech

Yep, this one is from C Gully also. Miss Caroline is still in business. It sounded good until about the second email, then things just didn't add up.

Beware my friends carlinulleyemail addresses not permitted is a scam.

veesixteen

Beware also the guy/gal who wants to BUY your stuff and PAY you with a "bankers certified check".
Run even faster if he offers to pay you MORE than your asking price, just to "hold it" for him/her.
Watch out also for the guy/gal who is over keen, speaks good English ... but NOT QUITE GOOD ENOUGH.

It never happened to me but I do occasionally get such "proposals" from potential scammers.  Example below:

"I'm Daniel, Actually I am sorry that I could not get to you earlier due to my work schedule, I  just had a change in my work schedule but I believe am OK with the condition as seen on the advert as well as the price stated. I am ready to make instant purchase with my mode of payment would being a Certified Bank Check via US mail or UPS next day service. I'll arrange for a local pick up as soon as you receive check, cash it and have your money in hand, i promise you everything will go smoothly as I would like to have it before my wedding anniversary which comes in a week. Kindly get back to me with your Full Name, Full mailing Address, Cell Phone Number and Agreed price. As soon as this is provided, payment will be overnight to you and I will let you know once it's mailed out with tracking number sent to you. I will also add an additional $70 for holding it for me till the Check get to you and delete the posting from (... list) today. Thanks and I hope we handle this in good faith while waiting to hearing from you. Best Regards, Mr Daniel. Pls consider it sold to me am seriously interested.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Steve Passmore

I agree with the poor grammar but how would that work Yann? In theory, you wait till you have the money before sending the item no?
They are not asking for your bank information so I'm just trying to work out how they intend to be either left with the item without paying for it or taking your money? Is there something I'm missing? as before the days of PayPal this was how bought all my spares.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

veesixteen

Steve Passmore

Seems like the answer to most of these buyer scams if indeed that's what they are, is to wait until one is absolutely sure the funds have cleared before releasing anything..
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

cadillacmike68

Those fake cashiers checks can take over a month for come up bad and your bank will suck the money out from your account faster than you can switch your old hoover on! Gotta love those "prominent Nigerian bankers".

If you pay with paypal, ALWAYS FUND VIA A CREDIT CARD!!!!! NEVER through your bank account - NEVER.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

denniscaddy

Just my two cents worth:

I've been selling Cadillac parts as a part-time thing, and then as a retirement "keep you busy" thing, for over 30 years.  In the older days, it was all SASE's and personal checks;  rarely photos.  Rarely phone, because it was expensive.  In all those years I never had a bad check from a Cadillac guy.  Repeat customers would often get their parts before I got their check, though I allowed very few open accounts.

From the seller's side, eBay and PayPal have made it a lot easier.  You get your parts before many more eyes than you ever could at a flea market or through ads.  You get your money quickly, though at a cost.  From the buyer's side, there are some protections provided, and photos on eBay let you know pretty well what the part is.  The eBay feedback ratings are very good guides.

I agree that the scammers are so stupid that they are usually easily detected.  Just post a car for sale and they come out of the woodwork, not to mention parts of the world you never heard of.

Most of the time I have found Cadillac people to be very good to deal with.  They are doing something they love and want to do.  If I have that elusive part I am very happy to provide it.  I try to be reasonably priced, though sometimes the customer wouldn't agree.

I guess the lesson is:  Know before you go.  Find out the facts, it's best if you know the person you're dealing with.

Dennis

PS:  I'm not as young as I once was.  I still have so many Cadillac parts that my wife says she hopes she dies first.  If anyone would like to talk with me about buying them all, I would be happy to discuss.  It can be a nice hobby business, especially for a CLC guy.

CLC 3676
1941 Fleetwood 60S
2017 CT6

chstitans42

If ANYONE uses the word "advert" it is a scam. Who has EVER heard someone say that word in normal conversation????

Steve Passmore

Quote from: chstitans42 on November 12, 2017, 10:45:27 AM
If ANYONE uses the word "advert" it is a scam. Who has EVER heard someone say that word in normal conversation????

Whoops, I use it all the time ???
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Rob Leech

I started this thread and said that all communication had ended, however it was not over. I continue to get txt messages saying they have the parts and they are ready to ship. Still no pictures, claims to have a very basic phone that has no camera. They can be relentless. Also, someone posted that people wanted to by their parts with cashiers checks. The bad ones are hard to spot, but your bank will get it back eventually. Then your out. Some of them actually have sent cashiers checks for more than the purchase price and requested that you send them the change. Of course the check is bad, they never pick up the parts, they just keep the change. 

veesixteen

Just got another one, from ...  Nebraska (I live in South Carolina).
Again, poor English.
My ad is clear: "Cash only, on pickup or delivery within 10 mile radius of Lake Murray dam. No "Certified Bankers' Checks" that bounce a week later! NO offers MORE than the advertised price!"

You have to laugh at their ingenuity!

boseephuss

I, sadly, was had by one of these guys.  Lesson learned.  I suggest requesting all primary communication go through the forum as a first hurdle.  None of the scammers have ever contacted me through the forum itself and I don't suspect they would take the time to create an account on here to scam folks.

Amusingly enough, I told the scammer that I was filing a claim with law enforcement.  His response was "Yes, please proceed."  Should you get an email from garybennyfieldemail addresses not permitted, be forewarned.
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

gary griffin

When a large amount of money is involved I "Fly and buy" . Works well for me, I get a trip and what I want.  Small amounts I trust other club members and established businesses only.

I have checked out items for club members in the past also. If you see a great deal in Seattle area give me a call and I will go and look at it for you.  no fee but it I do it and you are happy you can donate a bit to your favorite charity. I live just North of Tacoma and do not care to go north of Seattle but can be persuaded!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

59-in-pieces

Yann,
the link is very informative - and thanks.

From my own Domestic and International Banking experience, I offer the following.

Folks believe that a Cashier's or Certified Bank Check can not be stopped for payment, and it is as cash - one even says so.
Not true - we all know about putting a Stop Payment on a check we have written for a variety of reasons, some times with the payment of a fee to our Bank.

It is also true that the buyer of the Cashier's or Certified Bank Check may place a Stop Payment on the check - generally for no fee if the buyer is well known to the Bank and maintains consistently reasonable balances - or - the buyer signs a Certification explaining the need to stop payment - or - the buyer signs a Hold Harmless Agreement for the Bank's benefit - or - the buyer posts a Bond in the same amount as the Check.  Each "or" is based upon the banking relationship with the customer/buyer, and can be used in any aggregate.  The upshot of the Stop Payment is after it reaches your Bank, the Bank move to Set-Off against the available funds in your account into which the funds were originally deposited - or - against all available funds you have in as many accounts that you have, for the Bank to recover the funds to keep the Bank whole.

Another 2 cents - when selling my son's cars, outside the area - we have required the buyer to pay CASH at the time and place of delivery.  When the buyer is well out of the area and when a transport company is required, we have asked that the buyer's funds be transferred to the transport company by check.  When the check clears to their satisfaction, they have been given written instructions by the buyer - their customer - to bring cash to us before they take possession of the car.
This has kept us out of trouble even sending a 70 Nova to Spain.

One more piece of advice - if you are going to get Cash for your car or parts without being sure of the buyer, I would suggest getting a Counterfeit bill detector.
They are cheap and similar to the ones used at your Bank to detect counterfeit $100 bills - most often counterfeited - see pic below.
You don't want to think just because you got Cash you are clear.
Nope, if you didn't check the bills and you present them to your smiling Teller at the Bank, and she reaches under the counter and suddenly you are surrounded by the cops for trying to pass bogus bills - shame and surprise could be yours - out the goods - out the cash - possible bad mark on your reputation.

That is all from the belt and suspenders guy.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher