News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Scams on the "wanted to buy" forum

Started by Rob Leech, November 07, 2017, 08:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen

Another word of advice.  If you are the buyer and you are to meet the seller and bring cash, meet only in a public place and bring a big muscular friend with you. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Classic

OK, so even cash can be suspect.  Are wire transfers safe?  Is PayPal safe?  Your collective input would be appreciated.  Thank you.  Gene
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Or bring one of Col. Colt's friends with you. It used to be that you could give a guy a check and they would not bat an eye. Or even say that you'd forgotten to bring your checkbook. They'd say, "Send it to me when you get home. I hope you have a safe trip." Nowadays, you have to bring someone with you to Mickey Ds, meet the guy and hope HE isn't carrying. Are we having fun yet?

I have a member who admired the carpictures and asked if I wanted to sell it.???
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Glen on November 15, 2017, 12:34:10 AM
Another word of advice.  If you are the buyer and you are to meet the seller and bring cash, meet only in a public place and bring a big muscular friend with you.

Or bring an M1911A1.   ;)
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Funny you should mention that, Mike. One is about a foot from my hand as I type this. (1927 Argentine one of 10K built by Colt.) Cocked (so as to make it easier to work the slide and get a round in the chamber) and locked.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

SixDucks

Hello all,

My 2 cents,

I NEVER purchase parts from unless I can speak with the person on the phone and I exclusively use a USPS money order when I make a purchase.  If the parts are within driving distance I take often need to plan the trip which means I usually have time to send a postal money order prior to my arrival  to pick up the parts. I haven't ever purchased from someone that is not a member of the site.
Again.... no phone conversation NO SALE.

Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

cadillacmike68

You don't need those pens, you just need to know the various treasury features in the currency. Most notable; the color changing hallmarks, the denomination running vertical, the blue & red threads, and the gold or solver interrupted lines. These are not easily faked.

If someone that I have any suspicion of wants to pay in large bills, we will meet at MY bank where he will take out a tellers check for me using his cash, with me standing next to him.

End of any possible problems.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Rob Leech

This has been a very informative thread, thanks to all for your suggestions and experience about buying and selling in todays world. Keep them coming if you know more. I hope we have saved someone the misfortune of a scam.
One thing nobody mentioned about PayPal. I saw this happen to my son. He sold his password to a video game and they deposited the money in my PayPal account. They took over his game and changed the password, then stopped payment on the PayPal transaction. He was stuck, I couldn't get the money back for him. The woman who owned the other side of the PayPal transaction swore she didn't know anything about it. So, it is also possible to have a PayPal transactions reversed.
Rob Leech 1956 Eldorado Convertible

Bobby B

Quote from: Rob Leech on December 17, 2017, 02:11:24 PM
The woman who owned the other side of the PayPal transaction swore she didn't know anything about it. So, it is also possible to have a PayPal transactions reversed.

If she swore she didn't know anything about it, how about making good on it then? And Yes, if you pay with PayPal THROUGH your credit card, you have a case, even when it is legit and the product, car, etc. was not "as advertised". They will go to bat for you and they'll work hand-in-hand with your credit card company. The last thing PayPal needs is a bad rap. Now eBay, that's a different story altogether ::)........
                                                                                                                                                            Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

gary griffin

I got an email from Caroline about my "advert" also from someone trolling our forum.  She wants my address to send info about the 1940 emblem I may need.  As it turns out I had mine chrome plated with a bunch or other parts from a different restoration and it was in the garage on the Dodge shelf. 

One of the many advantages to this forum is communicating scams and opportunities along with the knowledge we share.

As I recall the only non response posting I have made was for the rare emblem I already have.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

slowpoke17

Unfortunately I've learned to be less trustful of almost everything nowadays. I've seen various ads, purchased excellent cars from very reputable dealers only to find my definition of excellent didn't quite match their version. The best example I have to share was last year I was looking again to find another '84, '85 Eldorado. I found an ad with an '85 black one with good miles, located within 10 miles of my home. I read the ad and commented to my wife on how well written it was. I looked over the photos again and again as it seemed like something was odd. Then I realized their was a Ram 1500 in the background, I zoomed in and it just like mine, down to the last pinstripe. Then I noticed it was my old Eldorado that I sold two years prior to a dealer in Belgium. This person took my ad and posted it exactly as I had it. My car was that Bordeaux red and they thought it was black as it was very dark in the photos.
John Federico

gary griffin

I basically trust club members but for large $ item I fly and buy.  I have purchased in person and had cars shipped, and I have purchased and driven home. I take along  a club directory thinking if it is a little shakey I could buy and hopefully club member would let me park at his place until shipper could pick it up, but I never had top consider that option.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on November 16, 2017, 09:23:29 AM
Funny you should mention that, Mike. One is about a foot from my hand as I type this. (1927 Argentine one of 10K built by Colt.) Cocked (so as to make it easier to work the slide and get a round in the chamber) and locked.

You know what the saying is: "cocked and locked, safer than a glock".

I got my 1996 Fleetwood by flying to south Carolina and driving it home.

Paypal is only safe if you fund the payment WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD.

And now you have to watch out for fake paypal payment advice messages with a convenient dispute link that takes you off to wherever.....
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Steve Passmore

One thing to remember when paying PayPal with your credit card. If you're like me and always pay off the card to avoid interest charges your credit card classes a PayPal transaction as an instant cash withdraw and interest is charged instantly. Paying big dollars for a car can give you a nasty shock when the credit card bill comes in.
When buying cars to ship back here I set up a rapport with the seller and before the deal is done a great deal of emails have passed between us with questions only someone genuine could answer. I guess I will get caught one day but so far so good.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Steve Passmore on December 18, 2017, 04:09:47 AM
One thing to remember when paying PayPal with your credit card. If you're like me and always pay off the card to avoid interest charges your credit card classes a PayPal transaction as an instant cash withdraw and interest is charged instantly. Paying big dollars for a car can give you a nasty shock when the credit card bill comes in.
When buying cars to ship back here I set up a rapport with the seller and before the deal is done a great deal of emails have passed between us with questions only someone genuine could answer. I guess I will get caught one day but so far so good.

That's not correct. It must be something that your card company is doing. I know some cards haze zero grace period, but its not an instant cash withdrawal. There are federal laws on that sort of thing.

Edit. Steve being in the UK means that the US laws that I'm familiar with do not apply.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Steve Passmore

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on December 18, 2017, 09:45:33 AM

Edit. Steve being in the UK means that the US laws that I'm familiar with do not apply.

Certainly the case with my card here sadly.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe