News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

NYTimes reviews CT6 Super Cruise

Started by James Landi, November 21, 2017, 10:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

The link below takes you to the NYTimes "WHeels" section where a review of the new highly innovative "super cruise" appears.  The review is  entertaining (especially the ending "coda") and very positive review. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/business/cadillac-super-cruise.html?em_pos=large&emc=edit_ws_20171120&nl=wheels&nlid=46763028&ref=img&te=1&; Happy day,  James

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

gkhashem

Wait until the first one goes wild and crashes. Lawyers are already planning the lawsuits. Maybe they can sue Google too.

BTW maybe it should only engage at above the age of 85. That way we can all still drive at an advanced age. The only plus for the self driving cars.

The reason we need this is for all the fools texting and playing with their phones while driving.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

James Landi

George--- you make three excellent points... it's so funny to me that the reviewer has figured out just how to "override" one of the major safety systems.  I suspect GM will feel compelled to install a "driver camera" with a video recording utility to demonstrate the point the reviewer makes at the end of his essay.  Happy Thanksgiving,    James

WTL

Quote from: gkhashem on November 23, 2017, 07:46:53 AM

The reason we need this is for all the fools texting and playing with their phones while driving.

Which creates a type of moral hazard, where people are gonna expect their car to keep them safe.  Text away.  Get in the habit. 

While we are at it, let's degrade the driving ability of generations, depriving them of the good habit forming created by having to concentrate in poor road conditions.  A lot of modern drivers are wholly inferior to those who have felt the physics of a larger, simpler vehicle.  99% of their hondas will go where they point it, just mash a pedal and go.  But then, an emergency happens and their reaction tendency is skewed.

gkhashem

We all know parents, friends, or relatives who can no longer drive. They lose their independence.

Maybe the self driving car will enable all of us who are fortunate to get to that age to still be independent.

What about that issue or would we rather ignore that? Everyone is different there some people I know who are 90 that can still drive and others who are 75 who should quit. Not a good situation.

Maybe these cars will solve that? What would be your solution?

I was trying to point out the good and bad of the new technology. Think outside the box and try to solve problems not posture and say whats PC.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

James Landi

Take a look at Jeff Maltby's post "End of and Era" --- Bob Lutz speaks to the future of "road travel" in first world countries... I think the various ideas expressed by Lutz and by others who often post here, such as safety, the new sharing economy, and autonomous driving vehicular "modules" are addressed therein.   Happy Thanksgiving, James

gkhashem

Just think I will have to get permission to leave my house. I will have to wait for my pick up ride to arrive at my door.

The government will control my comings and goings and ultimately my freedom. Only the rich, powerful and connected will get to come and go as they please.

Yes it is all possible, think about it. Not if but when.

Will I need a valid reason to travel?
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I keep on marveling at the cell phone phenomenon. If the government had tried, they couldn't have had better results. The daily "check-in" shown in "1984" has come to pass. Most of our younger generation are already "hooked" and pay an outrageous price for the "privilege."
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on November 23, 2017, 07:15:12 PM
I keep on marveling at the cell phone phenomenon. If the government had tried, they couldn't have had better results. The daily "check-in" shown in "1984" has come to pass. Most of our younger generation are already "hooked" and pay an outrageous price for the "privilege."

Very ominous...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: gkhashem on November 23, 2017, 07:46:53 AM

No. I think the reason for this is because technology is to the point where automation can be more effectively integrated into cars and in a cost efficient manner, although still with limitations.  Vehicle automation has been being considered and tested for many many decades, loooong before "texting."

jdemerson

Quote from: gkhashem on November 23, 2017, 09:04:18 AM
We all know parents, friends, or relatives who can no longer drive. They lose their independence.

Maybe the self driving car will enable all of us who are fortunate to get to that age to still be independent.

What about that issue or would we rather ignore that? Everyone is different there some people I know who are 90 that can still drive and others who are 75 who should quit. Not a good situation.

Maybe these cars will solve that? What would be your solution?

I was trying to point out the good and bad of the new technology. Think outside the box and try to solve problems not posture and say whats PC.

George, your points here are good ones, especially the last sentence.

Although there may be plenty of reason for "gloom and doom" emanating from Washington D.C. right now, perhaps that doesn't need to dominate our current thinking. I remember well the gloom and doom around the car industry in the mid- and late-70s. It was surely justified for a while, but in recent years much has improved. For example, there's a Mazda Miata parked next to my '52 Cadillac and it is a cheap, reliable, exceedingly entertaining world-class car. In a very different way, I get nearly as much pleasure from driving it as I get in driving the old Cadillac. Who would have thought in 1974 that today we would have Miatas, BMW 2-Series and M2's, Audi A4 and S4, current Mustangs and Camaros, Porsche Boxster and Cayman, Cadillac ATS and XT5 and CT6 in 2017-18?

This is a Cadillac message board, and the interest is on big, comfortable cars of all years, with an emphasis on Cadillacs at least 25 years old. The present discussion is about the future, and the CT6 Superdrive is a model of the future. A couple of weeks ago I drove a 2018 Mercedes Benz E-Class sedan, perhaps the only current model besides Tesla S (which I've also driven) that compares somewhat with the CT6 Superdrive model. It was impressive, just as the Superdrive CT6 impressed the NYT reviewer. I look at these models as helping us to be safer and to be able to drive to an older age, and I don't look at them as a threat. So, as George suggests, I see the good as well as the bad, and am willing to focus at least as much on the good. When driving cars like these, I do not take my eyes off the road, my hands off the wheel, or become drowsy and assume I'm safe. Rather I drive with the same alertness as when driving the Miata, and I believe (hope?) that the advanced technology adds an extra margin of safety.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn