News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The end of the automotive era

Started by Jeff Maltby 4194, November 23, 2017, 10:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

walt chomosh #23510

Jeff,
  I read the whole article on MSN news and was totally shocked! Times are changing whether we like it or not.(if you don't your probably old like me!)...walt...tulsa,ok

Bobby B

They've been talking about this stuff for years. Yes, it's happening slowly. But how are they going to get every car off the road, other than taking away the gas supply. The will be a revolution in the country if that happens. Would be easier to limit the amount of people entering the country to keep the population down. Why should everyone have to suffer because the country is overpopulated. It's one of the last guilty pleasures that I'm allowed to indulge in  >:D........
                                                                  Bobby.
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

EAM 17806

Quote from: Bobby B on November 23, 2017, 11:19:38 AM
They've been talking about this stuff for years. Yes, it's happening slowly. But how are they going to get every car off the road, other than taking away the gas supply. The will be a revolution in the country if that happens. Would be easier to limit the amount of people entering the country to keep the population down. Why should everyone have to suffer because the country is overpopulated. It's one of the last guilty pleasures that I'm allowed to indulge in  >:D........
                                                                  Bobby.
[/quote)  BOBBY!   I agree with you 100%.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Steve Passmore

Quite frightening. Glad I won't be around to see it. Those that grow up with it won't know any different.  People must have spoken this way about horses :o
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Jim Miller

I have concluded that I am a visitor in the 21st century.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

MeToo

According to various 'predictions' in the 1950s and 60s we're all supposed to have flying cars and be living in a moon colony. Cars aren't just a way from A to B, they're freedom, individuality etc.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Yes, I remember reading Popular Science magazine when I was a kid in the
50's. Two common threads that were discussed every few months were the
future of transportation and space travel.

By the 70's, we were told, everyone would have their own individual flying
vehicle for the daily commute.  Vacations to the moon and mars would be
everyday things!  You have to realize that this was the dawn of the space age,
with Sputnik (Russian) and Explorer 1 (our satellite) that showed everything
was possible.  Remember JFK's "man on the moon in the next decade" speech?
How about the Airforce's "Project Blue Book" (aliens from space, UFO sightings).

As for Bob Lutz, I saw him give speeches in his prime over 20 years ago.  He
was quite a guy.  Unfortunately, after reading his latest rant about the
"future" I do believe he's slowly getting senile.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, "talk of the demise of the automotive is greatly
exaggerated".

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

The Tassie Devil(le)

Glad I will be long dead before this happens.

But I have one question.   If it does come to happen before I kark it, how am I going to tow and launch my boat, and retreive it when I want to.   Suppose I will have to move to a Canal site, and have a private jetty and davits.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

D.Smith

Won't happen.     Remember when Chrysler was on the verge of closing?   Lee Iacocca proved to Congress that too many US jobs relied on the auto industry from Chrysler.     Can you imagine if all car companies and their support network closed?   Manufacturing, Dealers, service centers, auto insurance, body shops, gas stations, auto glass replacement industry, omg everywhere you look so many jobs are reliant on the car today.

But things are indeed changing right now.    Look at Uber.    It has virtually shut down the Taxi industry in many cities. 

Cars have had adaptive cruise control systems for many years now   These radar controlled systems are the precursor to automated driving.   I often use my adaptive cruise control on the highway to pace myself with traffic.   Set it for 75mph and get in the middle lane.   I just let the car lock onto the car in front of me and it adjusts the speed accordingly.    I just steer.   It is very relaxing on the ride home from work.     I can see how Cadillacs new "Super Cruise" fully automated driving will take that to the next level.   Just one step away from driverless cars.   

With the rise of traffic accidents and fatalities from distracted driving  (cell phone use and texting) I can see people giving up driving for those Google driverless pod cars.   Then they can talk and text all they want.     I'll be happy to pilot my gas guzzling car around them in traffic. 

If more and more people use electric pods to get around that means less demand for gas.   Supplies will surge and the price will drop.   But I think it will be a lonnng time before fully self driving cars monopolize the roads. 

Just think about it.    You own a self driving Google pod car.   You don't even need to drive to the grocery store.  You go online to shop and place your order.   You then send your self driving Google pod car to the super market where the bag boy come out and loads the groceries bags into the pod car.   The car drives itself home so you can unload it.   Pretty scary eh?

Glen

The scary part for me is the transition period. And that is fast coming.  With the automatic features like automatically keeping the car in the lane, automatic braking etc. The driver becomes more casual about his/her driving responsibility.  They lose situational awareness.  That’s when accidents happen.
On the other hand driverless cars have a long ways to go, I think.  I would not want one that will not exceed the speed limit, around here everyone goes 10 MPH over.  If I was in a car that did not exceed the speed limit I would be the most hated person.  The cars need to keep up with traffic. 

They also need a little more guts.  I read of one self driving car that got stalled at the 4 way stop.  It was programed to not move until all other cars came to a stop.  None did, so it just sat there. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

They just had a NEWS item regarding driverless vehicles, and for us here in Australia, they said that there would have to be a minimum of 700 Law changes, and that doesn't take into account the Insurance Industry problems involving them.

Plus, Until the prices come down to a respectable level, which will include the low-priced Used Car Market, it will take a very long time to come into being.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

MickeyCaddy

I hear ya. I, for one, am thrilled to be the guardian of a wonderful, classic 1955 Cadillac, and plan to enjoy the hell out of it for as long as I live!!!

Steve Passmore

Our Government has announced that the sale of Deisel or petrol cars will be banned here 20 years from now, and all will be electric I suppose?  That's crazy when there is no feasible alternative in place right now, plus successive governments will be able to amend and delay any such plans.  I don't see it happening.  Hundred years perhaps.
What beats the hell out of me is all these tree huggers advocating electric, but just where do they think the electric comes from? Mostly fossil fuel power stations in this country!!  There needs to be a much better way of harvesting and storing electricity for it to work.
Our government seems to always be under the impression that this small island can make a difference to the global warming. What nonsense when a country the size of China produces more CO2 in a few days that we do in a whole year, and they have no intention of stopping.  Sorry, my rant for the day.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

gkhashem

You can rant Steve, you are correct.

The government is slowly restricting the freedom to move about. They are thinking of restricting cars in big cities now, then a ban eventually. For all those who poo poo it, you must have been around when automobiles came about. Never would we not use the horse and buggy, then went out and invested in a horse whip factory. I remember a business case study where a wealthy family in the 1890s set up a trust where all the funds were to be invested in the Pullman car company. We can guess how that turned out! Can you say would you like fries with that, or maybe paper or plastic?

The only thing I agree with is that will not happen soon, but I would bet you guys that in 50 years and maybe less we will be off the roads and only the ruling class will be able to move about freely.

Out of sight, out of mind makes people so gullible. These people think electricity is CLEAN......  It's a lack of education and critical thinking.

I think I read somewhere that you cannot commit suicide in a closed garage with the car running anymore. So how clean is that!

I guess Hollywood will need a new plot line to commit suicide... on second thought they are doing a good job of doing that to themselves lately with all the scandals.

1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Jim Miller

The world will continue to evolve and there is little we can do but follow Mickey's comments to drive and enjoy our cars. It's a cold but sunny day in Ohio this morning and I'm driving my 41 to the office. When we can no longer do this I'll reflect on the ditty written long ago by some poor guy dealing with war rationing:
When I die please bury me,
Neath a ton of sugar by a rubber tree.
Lay me to rest in my auto machine,
And water my grave with gasoline.
Jim Miller
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

walt chomosh #23510

Guys/girls,
  When I briefed my wife (approaching 70yrs old) on the "end of the automotive era article" article she commented that "I thought that "the Jetsons" were supposed to lead us to be in flying cars by now".  The next mourning I saw a news article that said there are 19 different driverless flying car companies working on them at this moment!.....walt....tulsa,ok

signart

Quote from: MickeyCaddy on November 24, 2017, 04:55:53 AM
I hear ya. I, for one, am thrilled to be the guardian of a wonderful, classic 1955 Cadillac, and plan to enjoy the hell out of it for as long as I live!!!

I'm taking my '53 with me when I go. Gotta figure how to get a trailer hitch on it though, a few other goodies I'd hate to part with too.
Art D. Woody

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: MeToo on November 23, 2017, 04:35:27 PM
According to various 'predictions' in the 1950s and 60s we're all supposed to have flying cars and be living in a moon colony. Cars aren't just a way from A to B, they're freedom, individuality etc.

Agree.  So-called industry professionals/experts (current or retired) have been predicting all sorts of stuff over the many many decades, many of which don't actually come true or at least not to the degree as predicted.

D.Smith

Quote from: Glen on November 24, 2017, 02:42:43 AM
The scary part for me is the transition period. And that is fast coming.  With the automatic features like automatically keeping the car in the lane, automatic braking etc. The driver becomes more casual about his/her driving responsibility.  They lose situational awareness.  That’s when accidents happen.

It happened to me!    I am so used to my adaptive cruise control slowing my car for me when I come up behind a slower car that I get complacent.     Recently I was driving a different car with regular old fashioned cruise control set and I found myself overtaking a slower car and suddenly realizing I had to take control and hit the brakes!

The one feature I still don't rely on 100% is the back up camera.  I still find myself looking back over my shoulder most of the time.   But I suppose if you are a younger person whose cars have always had it they will become reliant on it.