News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'70 Deville - mechanical water temp gauge - how to run thru the firewall?

Started by grantatx, November 25, 2017, 12:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grantatx

Hi All,

I purchased a mechanical water temp gauge without thinking about how I would put the capillary tube through the firewall. Has anyone managed to do this without drilling another hole, which I definitely do not want to do. If so, which existing hole did you use? If I can't find a way to do this I guess I'll end up buying an electrical gauge.

Thanks in advance!

Grant

The Tassie Devil(le)

The largest grommet you could possibly use is the one for the Speedo cable.

This one has a large firewall hole, to accommodate the speedo end, which should also suit the Temp Sender end of the capillary tube, but you will need to cut a slot in the grommet to allow the tube to be centralised.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

Or you can use one of the unused spots in the oval shaped vacuum pass thru located nearby. You can also check for any unused connections in the main firewall electrical connector. you'll need the shop manual for that.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

chrisntam

There's a grommet on the left side that has multiple "holes" for lines to pass thru it.  Take it out, open one of the holes and snake it through.

It's between the master cylinder and the driver fender, kinda up high if I recall.  Out of town right now, sorry, no pics....
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillacmike68

Chris, I believe that's the one that has vacuum lines. There's always at least one available spot.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

grantatx

Thanks very much for the replies everyone! Just about to head out to the garage and try your suggestions, will report back once done.

Grant

TJ Hopland

An additional issue you may run into is the length of the 'cable'.   These are long engines in big cars with the coolant ports on the front of the engine so you can't take too many detours along the way.   Luckily you don't have the additional length of the Eldorado where the back of the engine is more than a foot away from the firewall. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

grantatx

Well I got the gauge and line installed, ended up using an existing hole that accommodates a vacuum line. See pic attached. Thanks again everyone for all your help!

Grant

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

bcroe

That ought to work; same type I use, which works even after shutdown.  Mine
has a 270 degree scale allowing a very compact 1.5" face.  A bit of a loop
between the firewall and the engine will reduce fatigue from engine motion;
even so I expect failures after high miles.  Bruce Roe