News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Battery Explosion

Started by cappy102, November 25, 2017, 02:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cappy102

At some point, long before I came into possession of my 1957 Coupe de Ville, the battery apparently exploded, splattering acid over much of the right side engine bay. After working a small area with polishing compound, the stain is not quite as bad, but probably goes through the entire paint layer.

Obviously, re-painting is indicated, but, short of that, has anyone successfully used bleach or another chemical to mitigate the visual mess?

In the attached photo one is able to see that the paint on the rear portion of the wheel well is gone, and bare metal is visible, so this will definitely have to be re-painted. My goal, however, is to retain as much of the car's originality as possible, so I'd like to avoid painting the entire compartment at this point. Also, pulling the engine is not a task that I look forward to.

In the interests of avoiding additional paint damage, I have not yet tried using chlorine bleach or any other chemical that might attack the paint layer.

If anyone out there has dealt with this problem I would highly appreciate hearing about your experiences, either positive or negative. Thanks!

(The engine bay is much cleaner now, by the way...but this photo, taken at the time I bought the car, was handy.)
1957 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1981 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza

Dave Shepherd

Baking soda helps neutral acid and possible damage caused by it, but it sounds like you may be past that.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I'm afraid it's much to late for any efforts to "restore" the painted
surfaces.  Baking soda would have to be applied within about 10 minutes
or less after coming in contact with the acid.

All you can do now is remove the rust and corrosion (bead blasting it would
be best).  Sanding and wire brushing with an electric grinder would be
my next choice.  Much of the engine compartment would have to be
dissambled to do this right.

You have quite a bit of work ahead and it's "doable" but will need alot of
elbow grease!

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

cappy102

Thanks for the information...I'd hoped that there might be a 'miracle cure' out there. Yes, I still believe in Santa Claus, but finally gave up on the Easter Bunny.

Elbow grease it will be (already is), and pulling the engine/removing fenders seems inevitable. Then, of course, new wiring harnesses (I'm sure the acid didn't do them any good).

Like they say: "To prepare yourself for a restoration project, rub grease in your hair, smack your knuckles with a ball peen, then crawl under the car and tear up $100 bills".

Oh, yeah.

cappy102

If anyone is still following this thread, I thought I'd post a couple of updated photos. After many hours of spot cleaning, the engine bay is finally beginning to show a glimmer of the possibilities. Lots more work ahead, but the minimal corrosion is encouraging.