News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Where's the line between original and modified?

Started by 5390john, November 30, 2017, 09:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

The process of Judging our car has been refined and defined. I was a judge in Fall Festival last year and we had a short class on judging. Basically the LaSalles we judged were all nice but my favorite was not in first place nor could I ethically assist it in winning. The procedure is simple and every car starts with 100 points and a guide sheet tells haw many points to deduct for every discrepancy.  It was a difficult task and I learned a lot and would do it again if asked but I probably would not volunteer. I feel that I missed the show and the Cadillacs as I was busy judging.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Caddy Wizard

Perhaps folks who enter cars for judging might avoid getting their feelings bruised if the CLC sent each entrant a communique before the National (or other judged event) reminding them of the process for the judging and the fact that the cars are judged using the Authenticity Manuals as a primary guide.  There will still be issues (like when the car came with a certain width whitewall and now that exact width is only available in radials and the bias ply tires that are available have the wrong width white wall). 

It could help...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: e.mason on December 06, 2017, 04:52:26 PM
There is one missing factor.  Human emotion.  Yes there is an Authenticity Manual for the different classes.  Much time and effort has been put into the manuals.  While the CLC has a core group of skilled judges.  But for the most part,judging is done by volunteers.  Each bringing their own personal standards and expertise. 

I had been speaking to the ideals of judging. How effectively and accurately those ideals are executed is another matter entirely.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

e.mason

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on December 07, 2017, 08:54:32 AM
I had been speaking to the ideals of judging. How effectively and accurately those ideals are executed is another matter entirely.

Over the years I have been occasionally involved with judging, mostly as a participant.   The whole process has come a long way since way back when.  It has been greatly fine tuned.  Today, unlike in the past, its really not a matter of competition.  Much like golf, scores are based on personal achievement. In golf everyone starts with zero and tries to keep their score as low as possible. In car judging.  Just the opposite.  You start with a hundred and try to keep your score as high as possible.  One great by product of judging, is finding out great information about one's car from the judges.  Many times a owner will have points deducted, because of an incorrect part.  Many times its because the owner didn't know he had the wrong part, or where to get the correct part. Without doubt, most times one of the judging team will be able to assist the owner to correct the wrong.
Eric Mason