News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1958 front vent window seals & weatherstriping

Started by 58K114323, December 11, 2017, 04:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58K114323

Folks,
while working through the resto of 58K114323, we arrived at the front vent windows last week. We adjusted them to as close a fit as possible to the roof rail weatherstrip but there is still a 1/4-inch gap on the left and 1/8 on the right side. Rubber stuff had been replaced during the US resto of the car but it I'm not sure whether all of it had been done.
Top of the vent window (and side window) rail seem to be empty while I'm not sure whether it should be. 1958-65 MPL calls up a W/strip 10.652 (#423 278X depending on side) and a bumper 10.670 (#423 812X) for '58 sedans but I'm not sure where precisely they belong to and whether I'm missing anything here or not.

Can someone help with experience or a pic maybe?

Thanks a lot
JS

2manycars

Just looking at how those window pieces are made, they definitely look like another weatherstrip slides into them. They wouldn't have that channel in them if it  were not so, based on other GM cars I've observed in the past.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

Roger Zimmermann

Steele Rubber is selling that part #4238124-5 as repro. Their part number is 70-1629-62. Good luck!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

58K114323

Folks, thanks for your replies,
what I have found out meanwhile is that there was NO rubber seal sitting on top of the window frames indeed, even if it is looking so.
The part that is sold by Steele Rubber is an upper bumper to the automatic window, but does not affect the gap I have on top of the vent window.
We are currently thinking of someone having replaced the roof rail weatherstrip by a misfitting repro. Is there someone out there having a picture of what a truly sealing roof rail weatherstrip profile should look like?
Best
JS

Roger Zimmermann

It seems that I misunderstood your question. On your picture, I saw a gap between the vent window frame and the door's frame. The part number I gave was addressing that.
On the top of the frames, there is no rubber seal, as you already know. The frames are resting against the roof rail weatherstrip which is also reproduced by Steele Rubber with the number 70-0534-68.
As you are not showing what is on the car now, I cannot say if the wrong weatherstrip was installed. Maybe the door is too low or the vent window frame incorrectly adjusted. If the vent window frame is not touching that roof seal, I assume that the door frame has a gap too.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101