News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

6 Way Bench Seat Transmission for 72 Eldorado

Started by Loveofclassics78, December 15, 2017, 02:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loveofclassics78

Good afternoon.
I am in search of a working 6 way transmission for my 72 Eldorado Bench Seat.  I believe that other years will fit.  Thanks for looking!

Don

Jeffrey Burland

Most times these can be disassembled, the caked on old grease removed, cleaned, regreased and the solenoids work again. Are you able to do this with yours?
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

The Tassie Devil(le)

This is what they look like when they are not working.   This one had a burnt out coil, and I couldn't find the correct replacement, so I got one that was good, and simply stripped both down and transferred the needed parts into the original outer, and had to swap the wiring in the plug to complete the task.

Worked a treat.

This one is out of a '69, and a 40 of the 60/40 seat, but the operation is the same.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Loveofclassics78

I can take it apart if necessary.  I didn't think that this was a unit that you could disassemble. I will certainly give this a try, maybe that will do the trick.  I wish I did have a another spare transmission around for parts.  I've rarely seen the 6 way seats at junkyards.  Taking a shot that maybe someone has out there they are trying to get rid of.  Still interested in one if somebody has a good one to sell.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thjey aren't meant to be taken apart to the extent that I went, but I had to do it as I couldn't find replacements down here.

The secret is not to bend the steel tabs to the breaking point of the metal, as they have to be re-pressed back to hold the coils together.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Giant Jason

A friend of mine rebuilds these- along with many other parts for DeVilles and Eldos from 65-75. He rebuilt my steering column excellent. I checked and he currently has a rebuilt one that is all setup and ready to install. PM me and I'll send you his phone number.