News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Laurie's 1970 Fleetwood Brougham Restoration

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, December 18, 2017, 03:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I've had several Caddy's in my day, all daily drivers. 1975 and 1976 Sedan DeVilles, 81 Coupe de Ville with an 8-6-4 that actually worked, 1987 Sedan de Ville (yes the head gasket failed), and 1996 Concours that was my pride and joy. My dad (RIP) had several Caddy's, 1970-1975. Life changes and you need an SUV for work, I'm a contractor. But I was just blessed with a 1970 Fleetwood Brougham that looks just like my dads! It was my Christmas present to me! 96K and really in great shape, I wish I looked that good at 47 but I digress... Any way, I want to restore this car to the best of my financial ability, I have a great mech for the hard stuff, he's on a funny car crew. So please be prepared for a lot of 'stupid' questions, I'm a chick after all.  :P

Really looking forward to great answers and great advice here. Merry Christmas!
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

chrisntam

Welcome aboard Laurie!

The '70 FB is my "wish" car, always looking for one, but really have no place to put it, nor do I "need" it.  Congrats on the acquisition!  I bet your dad would be proud of you for jumping in the fray of getting an "old" car and making it new again!

There are lots of '70 owners on the boards here, feel free to pepper us with questions.

Be sure to post some pics of that beast!  We love pics!

Chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I haven't seen anything as yet except a well written note with all the facts correctly set down. My wife of 56 years used to refer to things under the hood as "greasy round black things" but that was usually when they'd been sitting in the kitchen sink for a day or two. She keeps complaining that I need to fix the heating system on her 160K 1979 Fleetwood or sell it. She has struggled though driving some 50 Cadillacs of all different vintages and condition through snow and ice for a quarter century back and forth to work, so don't you worry about asking "chick" questions.

We had a 1970 Fleetwood that we drove while the kids were in college. I think we paid $150 for it. Very nice comfortable car, even though the doghouse was red primer. Welcome to the Forum. (We were at Ft. Devens during the first few months of our marriage in the winter of 1959/60.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Tpicks55

Welcome L, you will find most of your answer here as there are people that will blow your mind on their knowledge.  Everyone is willing to share freely.  There are no dumb  questions here or I would have been banned. lol   have fun with your car.  BTW pictures say 1000 words ;) Tony
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

BJM

Photos!  There are a lot of post war fans on here (and pre war).  I am 53 so I am close to your age.  During the 70's I grew up admiring what many call the boats.  I just posted a 69 Fleetwood on the Buy/Sell.

I was going to ask a question of the knowledgeable crowd here and spotted your post. Maybe in your photos you could add "Fleetwood and Fleetwood Beougham" specific adds to the Cadillac?

For the larger audience - what constituted a 1966 to 1970ish Fleetwood and Fleetwood Brougham? 

cadillacmike68

Fleetwood Brougham had a padded roof with a smaller wreath and crest on the C pillar, Inside it had fold down footrests for the back seat and individually adjustable and switched reading lights.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

59-in-pieces

Laurie,
Welcome,
Don't get me wrong, I am not the poster boy for membership, but become a member of the CLC.
Get yourself a Shop Manual and an Authenticity Manual, they can each be very helpful on your restoration journey.
By the way, I am not one of those 70's gurus, I'm caught in the Fifties - kinda guys.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

35-709

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on December 18, 2017, 10:58:33 AM
Laurie,
Welcome,
" .... but become a member of the CLC.
Get yourself a Shop Manual and an Authenticity Manual, they can each be very helpful on your restoration journey.

Have fun,
Steve B.

I concur 100% and DO get the Cadillac Shop manual for your mechanic and tell him NOT to think Chevrolet when working on your car and it's engine.  They both have internal combustion engines, yes, but there are many differences and different ways of doing things between Cadillac and Chevy that have taken many Chevy-oriented owners and mechanics by surprise.

Shop manual ---
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-CADILLAC-SHOP-MANUAL-ALL-SERIES-A-NICE-FACTORY-ORIGINAL/310356700288?hash=item4842b36c80:m:mXLbNNZ_q373QJjXhdnWRsg&vxp=mtr

Fisher Body manual ---
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-FISHER-BODY-FACTORY-SERVICE-MANUAL-BUICK-CADILLAC-CHEVY-OLDS-PONTIAC-SHOP/302558870263?hash=item4671e9faf7:g:IR4AAOSwKfVXKovQ&vxp=mtr

Gold mines of information!  Cheap at twice the price.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

cadillacmike68

Congrats on your car. I had a 1970 Fleetwood Brougham while I was in college up in MA. I grew up in MA, but am in FL now.

A Catalog and owners manual will also help.

Catalog:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=cadillac+1970+catalog&_sacat=0

There were two sizes of the catalog.

Owners Manual:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=cadillac+1970+catalog&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=cadillac+1970+owners+manual&_sacat=0

Getting one with the blue cover would be nice.

Unless you are going to restore it to a CLC national judging senior level, you don't need an authenticity manual.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

D.Smith

Welcome aboard!   And Congrats on your purchase! 

76eldo

Congratulations on your new 70 Fleetwood.  1970 is a great year.  I have two 1970's and have owned many others over the years.

Don't be shy with questions.  We are here to help.  Club membership will reap many rewards as mentioned previously.

Welcome!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Cape Cod Fleetwood

WOW! Thanks for the warm and fuzzy welcome guys, very much appreciated!

I got my baby insured (Hagerty) and registered today. I have to sail the aircraft carrier tomorrow, rescheduled 2 clients much to their chagrin to make the hole in the schedule. First stop will be at crew chief Scott's garage for his first peek and maybe and oil change if he has the time, and the state mandated inspection sticker. For a 70 its headlights work? check. Horn works? check, here's your sticker, see you next year. I have the original blue owners manual still in the wax paper wrapper. Assuming Scott can find an AC type PF-30 filter, and 5 quarts of REAL oil, 1030 or 1040 for this area? Is anyone using synthetic or Dexos? I'm trying to stay 'old school' but if the new oils are better for the car it shall be done.

The car idle's "rough", when you're rolling at speed it smooths right out. Also the previous owner put a new exhaust on and for some reason deleted the resonator so it sounds like a hemi 'cuda. Which is cool... but not for this car. Already have an appointment right after our oil change/sticker at Lou's Custom Exhaust to add the resonator. Wondering if the lack of that is creating (or not) back pressure that would cause it run rough at idle? PO gave it a tune up last year: points, plugs, cap, wires. Noticed the owners manual states a gap of .035, plugs come gapped at .030. I know what a badly gapped plug will do to my lawn mower or leaf blower. Wires could be the wrong gauge... I ran down this list of "what ifs" with Scott today... he just stared at me. Finally he said "Get it up on route 6 and kick its a$$ for a few miles, blow it out, then bring it back and we can start at the beginning." Kick its a$$, great. I need a tail hook or parachutes to stop in an emergency....

Educate me on fuel guys, I'm running low according to a gauge which I don't trust yet. I'm near an airport so I can get AVGAS, there's a gas station about 30 minutes from here that purports to sell leaded non-ethanol, $80 for 5 gallons. I want to do what's right by the car. I also enjoy eating occasionally so if there's a happy medium I'm all ears. I need fuel now, looking forward to guidance!

SO MANY more questions... but these are priority for me now. So grateful for any and all support. Thank you so much.

Is there a way to upload a Facebook video? I have its arrival here Saturday night on my page, emotional. And the story I posted about 'that day'. Also pretty emotional... my dad in heaven had to remind me how to lock the doors.

Thanks again, really appreciate the support!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on December 19, 2017, 12:23:50 AM
WOW! Thanks for the warm and fuzzy welcome guys, very much appreciated!

Educate me on fuel guys, I'm running low according to a gauge which I don't trust yet. I'm near an airport so I can get AVGAS, there's a gas station about 30 minutes from here that purports to sell leaded non-ethanol, $80 for 5 gallons.     
Hey, we help anyone, within reason that is.

But for fuel at that price, you are being ripped off.   For a less amount of money, you could buy heaps of Octane Booster to last you for many tanksfull of petrol.

Nothing wrong with straight unleaded petrol.   Just don't go for the ethanol polluted stuff if you can help it.   I run standard unleaded petrol in my '72 with a gulp of Octane Booster.   I am running 10.5 - 1 compression pistons with shaved deck and heads.   Pings its' heads off with basic ULP.

These engines are made of a high Nickel content, and don't suffer as bad with valve recession as cheaper brands.   BUT, you don't know what the previous owners have treated her to.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 19, 2017, 12:57:05 AM
Hey, we help anyone, within reason that is.

But for fuel at that price, you are being ripped off.   For a less amount of money, you could buy heaps of Octane Booster to last you for many tanksfull of petrol.

Nothing wrong with straight unleaded petrol.   Just don't go for the ethanol polluted stuff if you can help it.   I run standard unleaded petrol in my '72 with a gulp of Octane Booster.   I am running 10.5 - 1 compression pistons with shaved deck and heads.   Pings its' heads off with basic ULP.

These engines are made of a high Nickel content, and don't suffer as bad with valve recession as cheaper brands.   BUT, you don't know what the previous owners have treated her to.

Bruce. >:D

Here in the states all of the gas is polluted with ethanol. Its 'specialty' stores that sell virgin gas, at a price.

My regular gas is Sunoco, they have a 94 octane blend. There are a million providers of "octane booster" treatments... which one? Additive to gas ratio?

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

See? I'm ex-military, I can follow an order....
Just bought a 1970 sales brochure $15, shop manual $24.08 and body manual $30.85. Already have the owners manual.

:)
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

cadillacmike68

The new filter # is PF24, I'm pretty sure.

Use the synthetic oil or Shell Rotella T5, T5 or T6 T6 is synthetic) diesel grades, for better wear protection, and try to get something with the last number being at least 40 for spring / summer use. A 10w30 should be good for the winter up there.

Wires are ACDELCO 508D

Plugs are R43XLS (I think).

Rockauto.com has all these items as well as the points, condenser, rotor caps, etc.

Get the highest octane fuel you can find. 94 should be ok on a 1970, but you'll have to have someone who knows how to properly set time on these engines:

Hot engine, 600RPM in Drive, air cleaner Off, Vacuum advance OFF and plugged, Climate Control OFF, Dwell 30 deg, each idle screw backed off 1 & 1/2 turns from a 20RPM lean drop to get at 600RPM, and Time at 7.5 deg BTDC. It should all be on that sticker over the top of the radiator and it's in the manual.

You might also want to get a crane cams adjustable vacuum advance. Amazon has these. you want the one for points ignition, NOT the HEI one - it won't fit.

That 7.5 deg might be too high for today's fuel, and this is where a knowledgeable person or the crane cams adjustable vacuum advance comes in handy, because it has different springs for the mechanical advance weights as well.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on December 19, 2017, 01:44:28 AM
See? I'm ex-military, I can follow an order....
Just bought a 1970 sales brochure $15, shop manual $24.08 and body manual $30.85. Already have the owners manual.

:)
Laurie!

Were you a Navy pilot by any chance? You mentioned AC, flight deck, tail hook, etc. That and parachutes. Now those I did use being Airborne.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

76eldo

I use Lucas Hot Rod oil in my older Cars with non-roller lifters.  The reason is that there is zinc in the oil which is needed to properly lubricate the cam and lifters among other things.  The Shell Rotella oil also has zinc (ZDDP) in it but I would do a little research on that.  Normally I use 10-30 in colder months and 10-40 in summer months but my cars don't get a lot of use so I have been sticking with the 10-30.

The idle could be a carb adjustment or just needs some hard running to clean out some carbon.  Checking the dwell and timing is a great place to start.  I generally stick with AC plugs for my cars.

I have been using premium unleaded in my cars.  I don't think you need any additives unless you are going to run the car really hard.

I've been told that hi octane AV gas in a 70 would make it run like a different car but have never tried it.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

chrisntam

Yeah, just use premium unleaded, you'll be fine.

We have 93 octane here around Dallas, recently priced @ $2.50/gallon.

Expanding on what Brian said:

I use ZDDP additive in my oil.  Current blends of oil (that are readily available) don't have zinc in it.  Most or all cars today have roller lifters and zinc in the oil is no longer needed.  Our cars have old style lifters, the zinc helps cushion the ride between the lifter & cam. 

There is debate as to if the zinc "additive" properly blends with over the counter oil or if it is better to buy oil with the additive already in it.  Just Google ZDDP additive and you can read until you get "tired head".

I have about 6 bottles of the additive I need to use up, so that's what I'm doing for now.

chris.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville