News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recomend starting after month of

Started by 60eldo, January 10, 2018, 11:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: EAM 17806 on January 11, 2018, 11:19:51 AM
  ERIC:  Wouldn't starting the car and letting it run for at least 15-20 minutes with an alternator remove the condensation within the motor; why would this do harm to an engine?  One gallon of gas usage cost would be irrelevant to protect an engine.  EAM

EAM...running the engine once a month will not do diddly to protect anything, harms some things, wears others...while costing you money to do it.

Need to review reasons against posted above.

That said, if it gives someone some sort of intangible satisfaction or sense of purpose to engage in this ritual, I'm not about to be the one to stop them. All I can do is provide the facts - which are recognized as such by numerous experts in the automotive field.

Cheers! :)

Eric

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

gary griffin

For starting a car that has sat a long time I wrap a towel around the output hose from a vacuum cleaner and put it in the tank filling pipe. A little air pressure from the discharge of a shop Vac will fill the bowls and get it started most times. Newer cars with electric fuel pumps back at the tank do not need this of course.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

gkhashem

Quote from: Bobby B on January 10, 2018, 08:40:24 PM
What do you mean by "Under Load". Towing a vehicle? Normal Driving?
                                                                                                                                                                Bobby

Sure buddy I tow with my never rusted, ALL ORIGINAL low mileage cars????  Are you kidding.... under load driving it on the road.... OK am I clear?
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

The Tassie Devil(le)

I just fired up a car that had been sitting, unmoved and unloved for 3 years.   It had done 23,000 Kilometres.

Put on a good set of jumper leads, as the battery was totally dead flat, and turned the ignition on (it was a fuel injected 4 cyl), hit the key and after about two revolutions, it started immediately, and ran beautifully, even with the 3 or 4 year old fuel.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bobby B

Quote from: gkhashem on January 11, 2018, 05:53:03 PM
Sure buddy I tow with my never rusted, ALL ORIGINAL low mileage cars????  Are you kidding.... under load driving it on the road.... OK am I clear?

You actually believed that was a question? Maybe get your sense of humor in check "Buddy"....

I once owned a '59 TR3 that sat in my mother-in-laws unheated detached garage for over 23 years. It had under 50K miles on it. I drained all the fluids out of it. It "ran perfect" when parked. Every 6 months or so, I would throw some oil down the cylinders and turn it over a few times with a breaker bar on the front pulley. After I realized  that the car would never be finished, I sold it to a guy on my road. He tried to negotiate the price on the "ran when parked" theory. I told him that I would buy it back from him if it didn't run. I just didn't have the time to fuss with it. A friend of mine called me the following day and said he saw it on the road running off a gas can. My Loss...But there goes your theory.... It all depends on WHO is attending to it while it's parked. Almost every car I purchased that sat for long periods of time usually wound up needing major engine work in the long run. Yeah, you would get them running, but the party wasn't long term. Mostly broken rings, or major top end work. If you're buying a car that was parked for a long time, you can usually tell from the owner whether it was cared for properly while in storage or not. But, as a general rule, I'll always expect the worst when someone says that to me. It's a crapshoot..... ::)
                                                                          Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH