News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Swap 1967 mechanicals into a 1970 Eldorado?

Started by 67_Eldo, January 13, 2018, 11:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67_Eldo

Normally the swap questions go from old to new. But I found a ratty 1970 Eldorado that, bodywise, may be in better shape than the body on my 1967. However, everything else about the '70 is toast: interior, suspension, UPP, and so on.

How much of my 1967 Eldorado would bolt right in to the '70? My main concerns are the 429-oriented UPP and the dashboard. If I can't (pretty much) bolt the '67 stuff onto the '70, I'm not interested. I'm sure there are electrical wiring difference, but electronics I can handle.

Has anyone tried moving backwards in Time before?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Realistically... you're just digging yourself deeper in the hole. Don't even consider it!!
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

DaddyDeVille

I'm not suggesting that you do it, but the E Body platform ran from 1967 to 1970 for the Eldorado. https://www.teambuick.com/reference/body_crossreference.php

I was recently at a Junkyard and the underpinnings of a 1970 Deville is pretty much the same as a 1967.

It would be worth a look I would think if Labor is not part of the $$$ equation
1 Old car (The Green Devil~le) (Lots of gas)
1 New Truck (Not quite lots of gas, but still a lot of gas)
1 New Car (no gas)
1 Newish Bike (Some gas)
1 Old bike (Some more gas)

https://chuckdidit.wordpress.com/
https://www.instagram.com/mightneedoil/

67_Eldo

Daddy gave me an idea for a Modest Proposal:

Take a first-gen Riviera body. Chop out the front of the Riviera frame and replace it with the '67 Eldo front subframe, leaving the Riviera rear axle intact.

Drill a hole through the back of the UPP housing to create a power take-off. Attach the take-off shaft to a generator that fits inside the Riviera's huge transmission tunnel.

Attach an electric motor (also sized to the Riviera's transmission tunnel) to the front of the Riviera's differential. It doesn't have to be a monster motor. It just needs to be big enough to add a bit of "push." Maybe a motor out of an Accord hybrid?

Drop the 63-65 Riviera body onto the now AWD RiviRado frame.

Add a couple of large capacitors to the electrical motor drive system. You don't need batteries because the operational model here is the diesel-electric railroad engine, not the Prius. In the new RiviRado (or, as old-timers might say, the LaSalle II), the power take-off will be spinning the generator all the time. The capacitors are there to handle surge demands. The car would never be expected to move on electric power only.

There you have it: A three- or four-wheel drive vehicle (depending upon what type of diff the original Riviera came with) that is a "tribute" to the original LaSalle II concept (plus electricity)!

I'll get right on that. :-)

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

76eldo

Sounds like an easy weekend project to me.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

As long as he doesn't forget the external feed flux capacitor.
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

67_Eldo

I was thinking more along the lines of adding an "Auxiliary Power Channel," not unlike the one seen at around the 4:15 mark in this classic auto maintenance documentary.

https://youtu.be/NzfBEto2UyU

The Tassie Devil(le)

Ah ha, the ol' "smoke up the ........" trick.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Barry M Wheeler #2189

If you have a Master Parts Book, I would snuggle up in a comfortable chair and start checking how many of the parts will interchange. Such as dash, suspension, wiring harnesses, and so on. Then, when you have a pretty good idea of how much is going to be the same, then you might consider the project. You may have enough of the older parts, such as the front clip from your original car to use. Or, if you can insert the mechanicals  into the new chassis, a 1970, while not having the same "coolness" as the '67, is not that bad looking either. In any case, good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville