News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bumper rechroming questions

Started by chrisntam, January 22, 2018, 09:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Thinking about getting the rear bumper re-chromed on my '70.

When I go to the local chrome shop, what do I ask for?

Show chrome?  Regular chrome?

What's the difference?  Things to avoid or look out for?

I just want the chrome to last for about another 25 years.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

jaxops

Ask for "show chrome."  It should be nickel, copper, and chrome (triple-plated).  Taken care of, it should last.  I use New England Chrome Plating in East Hartford http://www.newenglandchrome.com/, Conn or North Texas Quality Chrome http://aandwproductions.com/chrome/index.php.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Chas

"Show Chrome" is just the term that a chrome plating salesman would use. It typically means that the product they produce is good enough to go on a car that would trophy in a show. Never heard of the term "regular chrome". After plating, the chrome that you see is actually only a few millionth of an inch deep. Ideally, your part would be (a) copper plated, then (b) nickel plated, and then top coated with (c) chrome plating. My description just very much simplified the process since a good deal of buffing and rinsing is also involved.

You want your chrome to "last another 25 years"? The best process I have found is four stage: copper, then semi bright nickel, then bright nickel, then chrome. So, when interviewing platers, ask how many stages the part would go through, and what the stages are.

You may find it hard to believe, but a it costs much more to plate a used part then it does a brand new one. Why? The shop first has to strip off all the old corrosion, chrome, nickel, and copper. Then, any imperfections in the bare steel bumper must be polished out. After the copper is applied, if your can still see scratches, they must "mush polish" the copper to push the first round of plating into the imperfections, then copper plate again. I guess what I'm sayin is, the different prices you will be quoted depends on how much labor is involved. You want that bumper flawless? That's a good deal more man hours then just a driver quality plating job.
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

35-709

What any decent chrome shop should give you is a triple plating job (nickel, copper, chrome) and if done properly it will look terrific.  There is such a thing as show chrome but I'm betting you don't want to pay for that unless you have a trailer queen type show car.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Actually, "show chrome" is the term most shops use
for the process that requires a higher degree of polishing. 
All of the chrome shops polish their work but that extra
effort for "show" is highly labor intensive and as a result,
is very costly.  The result is a flawless, very high polish,
deep depth, finish.

The issue with "show chrome" is that if you plan to drive
the car, show chrome will show every tiny scratch just
from normal wear.  It's for those restoring a "trailer
queen" and seeking 100 points at a concourse.

Get "street chrome" if you plan to drive the car.  It will be
at least as good or normally better than it comes on a new
car from the factory and much more practical.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

chrisntam

Thanks for your replies, it is appreciated!

Did Cadillac use a different chroming process than other GM vehicles? 

Wondering because the bumpers on this 47 year old car are in great shape except for a slight amount pitting near where the exhaust exits.  The pot metal is not in as good of shape as I'd like it to be...  I expect that is to be expected.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bobby B

Quote from: chrisntam on January 22, 2018, 09:29:40 PM
Wondering because the bumpers on this 47 year old car are in great shape .....

Thank the EPA.....One of the Mysteries of the World is why anything made way back when seemed to last  ::)............
                                                                                                     Bobby

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH