News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959-79 Cadillac 4 Door Convertible Challenge

Started by Eldorado James, February 18, 2018, 09:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldorado James

Sunday Night Cadillac Convertible Challenge......

While 4 door convertibles were once popular, they didn't last long in the post WW2 world.  Lincoln carried that banner through the 1960's, while the rest of the US market stayed with 2 door versions.  Let's dream for a moment....what if Cadillac had been a player in that 4 door convertible market?  Luckily, some fun loving Cadillac owners went "topless" so we can see how those cars would have looked. 

Submitted for your critique are several samples of 1959-79 Cadillac sedans in their alternate-universe "convertible-look" form.  Which ones are appealing and which ones are duds?  Let's hear it!  :o ;D

EJ
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

STS05lg

The 1970 is a real factory convertible owned by Scot Minesinger. I believe it is one of six built by Cadillac. Scot may chime in if I have the number wrong. He just finished a frame off restoration, the picture is from years ago. His children are all grown up. Did not want any one to think it was a photoshop creation  :)  :)

Eldorado James

Thanks for telling me!  I grabbed the pics off the I-net and a lot of them didn't have any background info.  Small World! 

@Scot -- If you don't want the pic in the Challenge, just let me know and I can pull it.
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I really wonder at the need for some additions. Like "two" coach builder emblems on the front fender of the '62.  And the colors...  Ugh. (Not yours, Scott.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

D.Smith

35-709

"I really wonder at the need for some additions. Like "two" coach builder emblems on the front fender of the '62."

;D ;D  Those are "Mooneyes", the logo from the Moon equipment Co.

https://www.mooneyesusa.com/
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Love their T-shirt...  My old eyes don't have any trouble at all seeing THAT (Those) trademarks!!!  (I may not be able to do much about it these days, but I have a heck of a good memory.) See how you can distract the "internet police"? What were you guys talking about again?
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Maynard Krebs

This is a pleasant creative thought, of a Cadillac four-door convertible!

I did have a "Brand X" one for a dozen years.. and learned a couple things that might apply to this 'dream'.   Mostly, the need for very serious additional torsional strengthening in the frame (and body).   This would mean definite need for serious engineering, though with today's computers, it would be much easier now than it would have been 'then'.   However, it would still be expensive.   Remember that in the era of the 4-dr. convertible sedan (mid-to-late 1930s), such body-style offerings were always the most expensive in their line (versus all others.. except possibly the woody wagons).

Further, recall also that the '60s Lincolns were uni-body in comparison to Cadillac.   That it itself means two things:  the uni-body is 'naturally' stronger torsionally than a 'separate-body-and-frame' design; BUT it is infinitely easier to modify the latter design than a uni-body.  [Remember that Lincoln went back to 'separate-body-and-frame' in their 1970 models.]

Finally, be aware that even two-door convertibles of at least the 1950s required different exhaust systems to clear the additional steel bracing that an open body car required, compared to a closed one.   Two classic examples of this are a mid-Fifties Chevy.. and a mid-Sixties Imperial.

Scot Minesinger

It is great that you put my picture on this post - thanks!  Mine is the dark blue 1970 Caddy with tan garage/white trim in background and my daughter using the rear driver side door to enter - taken specifically to show that this is a four door convertible.  The top folds flat just like a regular 1970 DVC and of course the top is completely operational! 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

jdemerson

Quote from: STS05lg on February 18, 2018, 10:03:03 PM
The 1970 is a real factory convertible owned by Scot Minesinger. I believe it is one of six built by Cadillac. Scot may chime in if I have the number wrong. He just finished a frame off restoration, the picture is from years ago. His children are all grown up. Did not want any one to think it was a photoshop creation  :)  :)

Somewhere I read a story about these and their history, but I don't recall where. Did CLC SS do a story on them at some point?

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn