News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1949 vent window seal replacement

Started by DouglasM, February 19, 2018, 01:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouglasM

Hello from the UK,

I am trying to replace the vent window rubbers on my 1949 fastback and can't for the life of me work out how to remove the pivoting window to get the seals out and in. I've seen a post about opening the window 120 degrees and pushing down but that is getting me nowhere. Any advice or instructions would be very welcome.

Cheers,

- Douglas

Jay Friedman

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

I am just gaining some experience with 49's but this design is typical of the 40's.  The problem with doing it the factory book way is if the old rubber is hard as a rock it will not compress enough to get clearance for the pin to escape.  If this is the case the solution is to cut the rubber out.  You are installing new so no harm done.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Douglas, I'm assuming you did remove the bolt that secures the vent window frame to the crank mechanism? If you missed it, you won't be able to push the frame down to clear the pivot pin. Just a thought.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

DouglasM

Paul, that will be it. Where is this bolt?

Cheers,

- Douglas

Bob Schuman

The bolt that Paul mentions is in the shank of the vent window frame and the top of the regulator gearbox. The door trim panel must be removed to access it. Also, sometimes the rectangular shank on the frame fits into the matching hole in the gearbox so tightly that you will be unable to move the frame down after removing the bolt. In that case, loosen or remove the screws mounting the gearbox to the door structure.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

DouglasM

So for the sake of future poor sods that embark on this 'simple' vent rubber replacement I have a few words of wisdom;

- I don't think you can do it with the window frame in the car as the window won't drop down off of the pivot far enough without fouling the outer stainless trim.

- the inside door trim must be removed and the screws that hold the vent window frame as well as the separator channel need to be removed.

- as stated, the bolt that holds the actual window to the winder gearbox must be removed

Once all this is done, extract the frame and the window will drop right out... What a bugger of a job...