News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Long time storage of a convertible

Started by Rikard Stenberg, January 04, 2005, 06:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikard Stenberg

Hi all!
I read an article in a Swedish car magazine yesterday about storing your classic car over over the cold season. One interesting thing that I havent heard before was the you should store the car with the convertible top latches in the open position.

This way the top will be kept wrinkle free and the fabric wont stretch during storage...

Any views on that?

Regards,
/Rikard, Lulea Sweden
1973 Eldorado Indy 500 Pace Car Replica
http://www.bfm.nu/lul2.jpg TARGET=_blank>http://www.bfm.nu/lul2.jpg

Mike #19861

That makes sense. The cold can cause the top material to shrink and stress the material, the top frame and windshield frame. Also, the material becomes more brittle in the cold, and it could tear.

Good idea.

Mike

Brian Rachlin

Personally, I think that not keeping the top up and tight WILL cause it to shrink.  Shrinking is usually a bigger problem on older tops and it becomes evident by a larger gap over the side windows.

I would like to get an opinion from an upholstery professional that installs tops.

Also, it is mimportant to keep cars clused up tightly to avoid entry by mice or any other unwanted "visitors".

I keep my convertible clean, closed tight, and under cover during the Pennsylvania winters, starting it on nice weekends and sometimes driving it on a nice clear dry day.

Regards,

Brian

Matt Harwood

I always stored my 76 Eldorado with the top up and latched because of shrinkage. I think the natural tendency of the vinyl material is to shrink, and keeping it taut helps defray that fact.

My mother has a 92 Mustang GT convertible, and the top has never closed right. Shes gone through 3 hydraulic pumps because using the motor is the only way to get it to latch. Today, the car may as well not even have a roof, as it never goes up beacuse it takes 3 football players to latch it. That top has probably shrunk to the point of uselessness (and yes, the top was replaced when the car was new to try to remedy the situation to no avail).

Id recommend keeping it latched and tight. Shrinkage happens, do your best to defray the long-term effects.
--
Matt Harwood
Cleveland, OH

Chris Braun

Guee.. and to think, I thought shrinkage was only a problem in the swimming pool.  Guess thats why I gotta hard top.

Joe Abernathy #17524

I usually leave mine down all year, unless of course its cloudy.  But then again in south Texas we cruise 12 months a year.   Winter Storage... what is that???

bob Chesnutt CLC#21760

I left my 74 eldo down all winter (In Mn, it gets down to -35 degrees.  When spring came (finally)it took two of us to stretch it back into the holes so it could be latched.  It was over 1" short.  Not again for me.