News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

38 LaSalle Fuel related Questions

Started by Ken, January 30, 2005, 09:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

We have a 38 LaSalle that we are fixing up.

The carb is marked Carter WCD, is this the correct carb?

Does anyone make a rebuild kit for the dual action fuel pump?

Thanks, Ken

Porter CLC # pending

Rhino 21150

My shop manual (37-38) for the La Salle says the Stromberg carburetor is a AA-25 and the Carter is a WDO-3745. The only change from 37 to 38 on the Carter is the anti-percolation adjustment. kanter.com has rebuild kits.

Ken

Yea, I dont think this is the original carb. It is clearly stamped WCD not WC0. I think the WCD was used on 46 and up Caddys. Ken

Bruce B.- CLC 1476

Ken... Motors Auto Repair Manual (Eighth Edition - 1945)  says the correct Carter carb for the 1938 LaSalle is WDO-392S or Stromberg AAV-25. John Washburns authorative article in the Self-Starter of several years ago shows Carter WDO-392S as the original equipment carb and Carter WDO-460S as the replacement. My factory Shop Manual Supplement for 1938 DOES NOT  show a Carter model number! Daytona Parts Co. (904)427-7108 of New Smyrna Beach, Fl. has been a quality supplier of rebuild kits !

John Washburn CLC #1067

Ken,

Couple of points. The Carter Carburetor was used on LaSalle starting in 1938 and is correct. Stromberg Carburetors will fit but are not correct.

To identify the Carter you have, see if the brass tag is still attached to the top part of the Carburetor. It will tell you which Carter Carburetor is installed. If the tag is missing look on the bottom of the carburetor there should be a number on it, if you want I can look this up if this is the only number you have.

I use kits from http://www.thecarburetorshop.com TARGET=_blank>http://www.thecarburetorshop.com because they are a quality product and include parts the cheaper kits never include.

John Washburn
CLC #1067

Ken

Thanks guys for all the info. The main reason I ask about the carb is I want to be sure to get the correct rebuild kit. If it is not the correct carb, that doesnt bother me.

The carb is stamped 552 on the bottom. There is no tag. It is definately a Carter WCD.

Any leads on the fuel pump rebuild kit? Kanter only sells the complete pump.

Thanks, Ken

John Washburn CLC #1067

Ken,

The flange number references to Carter Carburetors for 1946-1948, so this is a replacement for your 38.

For a good fuel pump rebuild try Classic Preservation Coalition,
518+674-2445, of New York.

John Washburn
CLC #1067

Johan Boltendal 158

Hello Ken,
For your double action pump rebuilding kit, try Antique Auto
Parts Cellar in Weymouth MA phone 781-335-15798
 fax 781-335-1925 They sell all kind of kits from 28-70
I have used them several times,got complete kits at a fair price.
HTH Johan