News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need help decoding 54 Fleetwood Plate

Started by Ian Robertson CLC # 20080, February 01, 2005, 02:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Robertson CLC # 20080

A local member has a 1954 Fleetwood 60 Special Sedan and wants some help decoding the body plate.  Ive been able to decode much of it but a couple of bits mytify me.

So far I have been able to identify the following:

Style 54 - 6019X Sixty Special with "X" for power windows
Paint # 7 (for Shoal Green) but then there is a "M" just after the "7" about which I have no idea
Trim # 87 (Light Green V-Crest Pattern Nylon with Dark Green Broadcloth) - but then there is a "Y" after the "87" which I have no idea about

Accessories are:
E - Easy eye glass?
H - Heater?
R - Radio?
K - Air Conditioning?
Z (or could be 2) no idea!

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,  Ian.

Roger A. Zimmermann # 21015

Hi Ian!
According to the Master parts book, here are the codes:

E= E Z Eye Glass
H= Heater
K= Air Conditioner (with shelf outlets)
K2= Air Conditioner (with roof ducts)
V= Electric 4 way control on seat
Y= Electric vertical control added to seat on styles 6019X, etc.

What you think is a "Z" is probably the "2" after the "K". There is no Z in the list.

Hope this will help.

Roger

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi Ian,

It may not apply in ’54, but the ’56 Data Book lists “Z” as the code for anti-freeze.

Ralph

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Regarding the shelf-outlet and roof-duct air conditioning systems, I have a question.  Was each type available on both sedans and coupes or was the shelf-outlet system coupe only and the roof-duct system sedan only?

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Rusty,

According to the ’56 Data Book, which might be similar to the applicable 54styles, the AC ducts were used as follows:

Eldorados, all Coupes and Sedan DeVilles had no ducts, ie: K

“62” Sedan and 60 Special, either way, ie: K or K2

Series 75, ducts only, ie: K2

HTH,
Ralph

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Thanks for the info, Ralph.  I guess that it was the hardtop configuration rather than sedan vs coupe that dictated the rear shelf vents only as I had previously thought. Even though the exposed plastic tubing was pretty ugly, the air distribution was far better to the front of the car with them and also prevented frozen necks on the rear seat passengers.  My parents had a 55 Olds 98 sedan and my aunt and uncle had a 55 Buick Roadmaster sedan with the duct system and they both did a great job of dealing with Houston heat and humidity, but our neighbors 63 Imperial with front and rear air (just like Fleetwood 75s and modern vans and SUVs)was the best...that system would cool their black car down in no time at all.