News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1951 Hydro-Electric system

Started by Archie Calise, February 01, 2005, 03:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Calise

Ok,
My 51 hydro-electric system was working fine.  The motor quit.  I had it rebuilt.  The pump now spins again, but no "pumping".  Any one with specific knowledge about these "vein" type pumps please give me your thoughts.  Thanks,
Archie Calise clc#17647

John Washburn CLC #1067

Archie,

Been down that road. Check the pump (on top of the motor)and make sure the mechanisms that pumps the fluid are free. That was the problem with my pump. Had it rebuilt and still did not work. When I took the pump section apart and cleaned it up and got everything free all worked great.

Good Luck

John Washburn CLC #1067

BOB SPRINGER CLC#19089

I ALSO HAVE GONE THROUGH THIS.  REBUILT THE THE MOTOR. THEN THE PUMP WOULD NOT WORK.  SENT IT OUT FOR PUMP REBUILDING WAITED 2 WEEKS AND THE GUY RETURNED IT SAYING HE COULD NOT REBUILD THAT TYPE. I ENDED UP USEING ONE FROM A 49 OR 50.  I HAVENT GIVEN UP ON THE OEM ONE.  I PICKED UP SOME "O" RINGS TODAY.  I THINK THE ONES I HAVE IN THERE ARE TOO THICK SO THERE IS A VOID IN SIDE THE PUMP.  OH YES IT WAS WORKING FINE UNTIL I REMOVED THE MOTOR FOR REBUILDING.  I ALSO TRYED BUYING A GOOD REPLACEMENT.  NONE FOUND.  SORRY I HAVENT GIVEN YOU ANY GOOD LEADS.  BUT IT HELPS SOMETIME TO KNOW YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM.  GOOD LUCK BOB

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Hi Archie- Sounds like your problem calls for priming the old pump.I am more familar with the 46-47 Hydr pump but the 51 can`t be that much different than my 47. Whenever a Moraine type pump has been taken out of the car for repair chances are that it will need to be primed after puting it back in the car to created the suction necessary to pick up the fluid in your resevior.The following info on priming is covered in my 46-48 body serice manual for the Moraine pump. Find the fluid return port on the side of your pump. Your pump probably has two pressure ports and one fluid return port. The return port should be very close to being under your metal name plate on the pump motor. Loosen the metal line or rubber pressure hose going to this return port fitting. Prime the pump with several good squirts through this fitting with what ever type of fluid you have in your system.I use a small pump type hand oil can. I hope your system is using ATF fluid like Dextron III rather than brake fluid. I also have had success with priming through the pressure port.Once you get the pump putting pressure, cycle through the system components several times to get the air out of the system and then check your fluid to for the proper level of fluid Have fun but don`t forget to tighten the line as the pump puts out about 200psi and will mess up a floor real quick to say nothing of the car.    

Archie Calise

Thanks very much guys.  Your responses are from your experiences with different model year pumps.  The pump on my car was only used in 1950 and 1951.  DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THE 1950 / 1951 STYLE PUMP?  My style has a motor which is perpendicular to the reservoir, and it all mounts in the right front fender well, behind the right front wheel.  I sure would appreciate more info.....and thanks again very much....
Archie Calise
CLC  17647

Jeff Maltby #4194

Archie. Im looking through my oem 1952 United Service Motors manuel that covers near everything they made back then and earlier. They have 1/2 a page on troubleshooting a Type "B" Motovator pump that must be like yours, with motor mounted "perpendicular" to the resevoir.

Ill snap a digital picture and send it to you.

Jeff 49 coupe

Archie Calise

Jeff,
Youre the man.  I got the email.  Thanks very, very much.  Id like to give that info to my mechanic who has no computer.  Could you please fax me that section? (401-295-8320)  Wow, Im really pushing my luck now, but I would be eternally indebted.....
Thanks,
Arch