News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rope seal leak

Started by Michael / Denmark CLC#21905, February 02, 2005, 01:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael / Denmark CLC#21905

Hi i own a early(11/57)1958 Fleetwood in which i have overhauled the engine ,but the rope seal is leakin` badly!Now i was wondering if there was any tricks regarding installation ,there was an article in The Self-Starter 3/01 (im a new member,dont have it).Maybe there is a modern lip seal that can replace the rope??Hope some friendly soul can help.   Michael Jensen

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Michael,

I cannot help you with part numbers for the two piece neoprene replacement rear main seal, but if you go to the top right of the screen, and there you will see the "Search" buppon, in between the "Mark all Read" and the "Moderator Login".

Selecting this "Button", will bring up a "Search" screen, where you can type in keywords, like "Rear Main Seal", or "Crankshaft Seal" or whatever turns you on, and presing the appropriate button will bring forth all the previous questions and responses re the search criteria.

I know that there is a two piece neoprene seal available, so happy surfing.

I have just rebuilt my 61 390 (in my 60 CDV) and used the neoprene seal supplied in the kit.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Baxter Culver #17184

There were a number of posts here re: rear mail seal problems and fixes.  I found them by using the Search feature.  Put in "Rear Main Seal" and youll get the whole string.

Apparently, the Chrysler 318 cu. in. rear main journal is the same diameter as the 331 cu in Cad engine so the Chrysler seal works as a substitute for the Cad rope seal.  I dont know what size the 58 cad engine is so it is possible the Chrysler seal isnt suitable.  But the key to researching for the right seal is in the posts.  Good luck and post your results when you solve the problem.   We are all learning here.

Michael / Denmark CLC#21905

Thanks for the help(also the mails) i will get on with it and post the result here ,may take some time-the car is been taken apart for paint/chrome now.
                             Michael