News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Vacuum diagram for 1971 Eldo., 500cu

Started by Joe L. Hagen, February 03, 2005, 02:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe L. Hagen

Can anybody tell me where I can find, or send me a copy of, the vacuum diagram for a 1971 Eldorado with a 500cu engine.
I purchased the Chilton book but it doesnt show it.
Thank you
Joe L. Hagen

densie

Is there a manual, or a similar year car, that you could look at?  These cars really didnt change much in the 70s.  I can give you what I have from memory, nearly the same on both my 76 and 78. If you need to get your car going, these are the ones that are really important...

At the right rear of the intake, there should be a full vacuum port, and another full vacuum port nearby on the right rear of the carb.  The one on the intake should go to the transmission, and the one at the back of the carb goes off to the left where it tees, one hose for the cruise control, and the other that goes through the dash to control the A/C system.

At the rear center of the carb, there is a large fitting which is power brakes, or plugged for cars that have hydroboost.

At the front center, under the d*amn compressor, there is a large fitting that goes to the PCV fitting on the valve cover.

At the right front of carb, under the d*mn compressor, is a hose that goes to a temp switch at the right front of the engine, and then to the EFE valve on the right exhaust manifold.  This system serves no purpose whatsoever, unless you live in Antarctica.  It wont hurt to disconnect it and plug the port.

At the left front of the carb there are two hoses, one (under the d*mn compressor) from a full vacuum source and the other from a ported vacuum source (no vacuum at idle). These two hoses go to a temp switch on the left front of the engine, and then one out of the temp switch goes to the distributor advance.  Another one, I think, goes to the EGR valve.  The idea is, when your engine heats up to 230 degrees, full vacuum is sent to the vacuum advance instead of ported vacuum.  This makes the engine run cooler and idle a little faster.  This sytem, also, serves no practical purpose whatsoever.  Its an emissions thing.  Why would you NOT want your engine to idle cooler and smoother?

OK, scratch the above paragraph.  Its not important.  Run the full manifold vacuum source to the distributor and plug the ported vacuum source.  You may have to adjust your idle speed down after you do this mod, because it will be running better.

Maybe this will help

-densie

Joe L. Hagen