News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 Cadillac Paint Pattern

Started by Tom Pecena, February 24, 2005, 12:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Pecena

Have a 39 Cadillac 61 that was originally two-tone silver over blue. I know that silver stopped at crease just below the windows and above the chrome stripe on the sides, and where roof met trunk lid.  What I dont know is the front.  On 60S paint went from end of drip rail, across cowl, to the other side leaving a band of color several inches below the windshield.  I think on the 61 that just the pillars were painted with the paint linr from the drip rail to bottom corner of windshield.  This making the lower blue come all the way up to bottom chrome of windshield.
is this correct?  Please help me so I can get the car painted correctly.  Looking forward to your informed answers. Thanks again.

Regards,
Tom Pecena
tom@ahoycruises.info

PS Also need radio as mine has gone missing since I moved.

Doug. Houston

This is a question thats hard to answer without a picture. Ive sent a snapshot of my 41 Cadillac coupe to  Tom, via e-mail but cant post it here.

The year 1939 was the return of two tones, at least for  GM cars. There are some body designs that lend themselves to two-toning, and that years models do. The crease in the body at the belt is perfect for a color break. It does, as Tom has said, extend around the deck panel, beneath the backlight, and then forward along the doors, to the A-pillar. The doors above the crease also have the upper color. The color carries over the roof to the bottom of the A-pillar, but there is area along the cowl to be dealt with. It was customary to make a masked color break across the cowl, beneath the windshield. On my 41, and on the 39-61, they made the color break pass through the wiper transmission holes. Thus, the wiper transmissions are in the middle of the color break. It comes off quite well. The 60S would carry the lower color over the belt bead, with the upper color ending at the belt bead. The A-pillar and the cowl break would be the same on that body. Hope that this helps.

My 41-62 club coupe is the only car Ive ever two-toned, and it came out just great.

Tom Pecena

Thank you for the reply.  Your answer makes the best sense.  Have tried advertisements, brochures, and books bujust cant find a 61 in the 2-tone scheme.  The thin band across the cowl would be beautiful, more so than the wide band or no band.  Will send pictures upon completion.  Thanks again.

Regards,
Tom Pecena
Ahoy Cruises