News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

timing

Started by lewis cox1, March 01, 2005, 04:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lewis cox1

Where can I find a timing mark for a 1930 8cyl. I think it is too retarded now? Where can I get a service manual for this car. It is a 355 rs coupe? Thanks

Paul Ayres #5640

Lewis - The timing marks are on the flywheel, under the oval cover plate on the right upper end of the crankcase.  Loosen the screws and rotate the cover to see the marks.  There is a zero mark and a spark advance mark for each cylinder.  The shop manual for the 1930-31 Cadillac shows up periodically on ebay, and a copy can be purchased from Crank-n-Hope Publications, 382 Sloan Alley, Blairsville, PA 15717-1481 (724) 459-8853.  Paul Ayres

Johan Boltendal 158

What is also very important and often overlooked,after hard and long use the timing chain will get longer.
When you go off the throttle, the chain can jump one or two teeth at ease.This way you will also get the retard effect, but it cannot be adjusted . So you have to check your cam and crank coordinates first.Piston TDC valves over lapping at the same moment, the easiest way to check , before you take of the front cover of the engine, to have a look at the marks.If you find the in correct setting get a new chain, setting the old one will only last a few days. HTH Johan

lewis cox1

Thanks for the help. Ill call them tommorrow.

lewis cox1

Thank you for the info. I hope the chain is not bad. The car only has 58k original miles. However, I wonder where I could find parts? Thanks

Johan Boltendal 158

Hello Lewis,
The club, Hemmings,for engine parts my exp. with Egge Machine
is good. Try Egge.com