News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What to watch-out for on a 1972 Eldorado

Started by Chris Arneson, March 04, 2005, 09:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Arneson

Im looking at a 1972 Eldorado convertible which is priced right but has fallen somewhat into a state of disrepair.  It currently is not running, but is claimed to have run in the fall.

What are the known issues with this model car to look our for?

Thanks,
Chris

Rikard Stenberg

Hi Chris!
I do not think that I am an 100percent expert on these cars but I own a 73 Eldorado convertible right now (my second 73 Indy pace car replica actually). But I think I have a good picture on what to look out for:

* Convertible top mechanism
Although a fantastic design these "scissor tops", full width rear seat, nice lines of the car, etc. But it is really sensitive and quite often gives you problems. Partly a number of bushings that usually needs replacing and most of them are fairly easy to exchange but the center one is a mess...

Also the top has two drive wires that probably needs replacing, the motor usually survives.

* Drive axels
Well, this huuge car is front wheel drive and the drive axels are often prone to be worn out.

* Rusted out floor pans
There are usually quite a lot of rust in the floor pans, lift the front mats and lift out the rear seat cushion and have a look - not just look under the car.

* Worn hinges
These door are huuge and even heavier! Usually the hinges needs replacing, as do the hinges to the hood.

Besides that the cruice control, air condition and the clock "never" seem to work on these cars :-)

Another problem is the somewhat modern car... there are lots of plastic parts in the dash board and all around the interior and finding these in pristine condition can be really expensive indeed.

So finding the right car at once and paying top dollar for that is really the way to go - you should be able to find a good one for around 6-8000 dollars, even more if the car is really in perfect condition. Still a bargain imho.

Just my 2 cents, hope this helps :-)
Cheerio!
/Rikard, Sweden

Richard Pope

As an owner of a 72 Eldo Conv. I totally agree with Rikard. He is exactly right on all accounts.

Brian Daum, 18809

Hi there,

Even though Rikard mentioned most of the common problems that these dinosaurs face, there is one more issue you might encounter. Most of these big block monsters have an idle problem, so don`t be surprised if it runs unevenly at idle, especially if it has been sitting a lot.

This topic has been frequently discussed on this forum, carry out a search on the subject and you will find a lot of useful information - too much to mention right now.

Also many of the power gizmos stop working if they have been sitting for years, a little CRC and moving does wonders.
Just don`t give up if it doesn`t work, these are great cars and quite easy to work on even if they are somewhat complex.

Remember to get a Shop Manual on E-bay!

Regards

Brian
Norway

Chris Arneson

All,

Thanks for the info.  I did buy the car because it was a pretty good deal but is not a nice driver (sorry Rik).  I ended up paying a parts car price for a #5 and maybe a #4 car with some work.

I enjoy this kind of work, so for me it fun to deal on a car like this and then take it home and make it a runner again.  I dont plan on restoring it at this point (too involved with my 55 Eldo right now to take this one apart).  Instead Ill enjoy it this summer after a good cleaning and tune-up (assuming it starts).  If it turns into a huge mess, I already have an offer from my neighbor to buy it.

The now previous owner claimed that it had been running about 6 months ago and since its been sitting on his concrete driveway before that it had been garaged.  It needs work on the floor, the top is shot, the interior is pretty worn, and it is yet to be shown as a runner.

On the upside the windows work, which is good because while loading it on the trailer I needed to use the "convertible" top as a door.  The car is so big that the doors wouldnt open enough to allow access or exit.  Loading the non-running monster was another story, but could have been worse.

On the down-side the starter isnt even clicking.  So todays project is to check that out and see if it will turn over.

Chris

Rikard stenberg

Sounds your are into some fun there :-) Great car, so maybe yet another one of these Eldorados are saved.

Good luck!
/Rikard

densie

Start with a battery charge.  Have fun.

If it goes bang when you accelarate and decelerate, the torsional damper in the right axle is probably shot.  This is something that will fail suddenly and leave you stranded.  Ive been told that you can put in a left axle instead and do away with that thing.

-densie

Chris T Arneson

Well its alive again!

After some tinkering yesterday the car runs ok but needs a new cap/rotor/wires still.  Cleaning the old ones didnt quite get the job done 100percent.

Denise, you were right about the battery.  The first one used was several years old, just a spare sitting in the garage.  I had the charger on, but that 500ci was too much.  A new battery and remote starter switch cleared up the problem of cranking, however the key still doesnt want to crank the engine.  That along with very weak headlights and the "engine temp" light/buzzer going off when you open the door (read wierd electrical gremlin) leads me to think I have a grounding issue.  If anybody has had a similar experience Id like to hear about it.

The biggest project will be the floor, it is pretty much gone.  It doesnt look to difficult since its mostly flat.  There is also some body rust which doesnt look to bad either; again mostly flat areas.  The trick might be to match the paint as it has been resprayed at some point.

Does anybody have advice on installing a new convertable top?  How is the back window replaced?  Tops seem to be reasonably priced.  It wasnt going to be high on my list on things to fix but garage space is a premium.

Its nice to work on a project in which significant progress can be made relatively quickly.  The 55 is so far out I sometimes lose my enthuseasm.  This work should also prove to be good practice since similar issues will need to be addressed on the 55 but with a higher standard of work.

Chris

Brian Daum, 18809

Hi again Chris,

Great that you got the monster started, how did it run?

I have the same gremlin too, when opening the drivers door the buzzer and a few warning lights go off. If you ever find out what it is, let me know!

I also have a problem with the power seat back release. Whenever I open the doors the power seat back release clicks on and off continueosly. I bought the shop manual to be able to locate the relay, but the manual doesn`t say where it is. Anyone with an idea?

Regards

Brian

Randy Manus #8533

I think the buzzer and engine temp light are supposed to be on when you open the door with the key in the ignition.  My 71 Eldorado convertible does it also.  I just finished fixing up my Eldorado convertible to a daily driver, fun summer car status.  The car only needs the top and rear window replaced, but the top will be down all the time anyway.  I invested my top money in a hard parade boot cover.  Good luck on your restoration.  Randy

Chris Arneson

Do you know Randy?  Is the rear window and surounding area replaced separately from the rest of the top?  I like the idea of the hard boot, but would like to park the car outside sometimes.

The engine runs ok but was missing a cylinder.  I only cleaned the cap and rotor with a file and it was pretty corroded.  I plan on picking up a new cap/rotor/wires on the way home and well see how that works.  Suprizingly it idles smooth and it appears to have had a rebuilt carburator added sometime in the recent past.  If fact it looks like someone did quite a bit of work mechanically to the care before it was let go.  The shocks, brakes, radiator, windshield, axles, transmission, gas tank, muffler, and tires all have little or no wear.  The tires still have the little nubs on them.

Its really starting to grow on me and the wife is even looking forward to taking the kids to the beach with it this summer.  After of course it "looks pretty" again.

Im going to tear into it tonight and see how far I can get.

Chris

Randy Manus #8533

I think the window curtain is seperate from the actual top. But I believe you have to pull the top partially loose at the back to replace the window curtain.  I have never replaced a convertible top yet, but I am going to try this summer on my 71.  I am a mechanic, so I think I can fix most anything HA HA!!  I am going to give it a good try.  I had my 71 out Sunday, with the top down, for a short trip.  It got up to 63 degrees here in northern Illinois, but it was 30 today.  My speedometer quit working.  I will have to look into it.  It looks like my cable is melted from being to close to the exhaust.  I have a another 72 Eldorado convertible I have been using for parts.  Good luck, Randy.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gee, it is nice to have two.

I cant even get one.

But, Randy, you will have to get yourself a Workshop Manual before you start replacing the top.   Back in 1976, I replaced the top on my 55 Chev and had an upholsterer to assist (he did most of the work), and we got it on without a manual.   But, a manual really would have helped.

Yes, the rear window is a separate item and is bonded to the surrounding material.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Chris Arneson

Well progress was made last night.  Both seats were removed along with the carpet to reveal the floor damage.  Cleaning up the mess gave new meaning to "vacuuming out the car"!!  Repair looks straight forward for both the front and rear foot wells.  Unfortunately the seat mounts are rusted beyond use and will take some work to get it mounted again.  The seats are really the weak point of the car, they are weathered and warn.  I might try and find something to replace them.  Anyone with white leather front bench for a 72 Eldo?

Some more interesting things learned are that the car was originally green and the floor was repaired once already.  Infact I suspect that this car was restored 10-15 years ago.

The buzzer issue mentioned above is quite anoying.  Mine goes off when the door is open regardless if the key is in the ignition or not.  That will be unpluged shortly.

As for the top I plan on tackeling that myself too.  I noticed in the USA-Parts catolog that there is a how-to video available for around $40, which is refundable if the tape is returned in good shape.  I think Ill go that route.  My back window section is in decent shape needing only a cleaning but it does look like one would have to partially remove it to install the new top.

First things first though - fix the floor, seat, new carpet, and re-color dash (also green).  Oh and finish engine tune-up.

Chris

David #19063

Chris,

I believe that some of the buzzers in the early 70s were seatbelt buzzers and stayed on until the seat belt was buckled?

David

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Sounds like a great car! Here is an e-bay link to a really beautiful 72 Eldorado Convertible, quite possibly similar to the car youre working on--Im passing it along to give you encouragement as you labor on your restoration! Those 71 and 72 Eldorados, in my opinion, are gorgeous cars. Enjoy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6147&item=4533847315&rd=1 TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6147&item=4533847315&rd=1

Chris Arneson

David,

Thanks for the tip.  I noticed yesterday that the seat belts had some sort of switch on it - likely to shut off the buzzer.  However, my buzzer only goes off when the drivers door is open.

Rich,

That car is the identical twin to what mine would have looked like new.  Today its in white paint, which is fine by me.  Wish I had that front seat though!!  Thanks for the encouragement.

Chris

David #19063

See Previous post from Rich.

David

Randy Manus #8533

I discovered when I took my 71 Eldorado convertible apart that it must of had a complete rear clip installed early in life.  When I first took the interior out I noticed a gold paint color under the rear side panels.  First I thought maybe the car was repainted a differant color.  The car is white with red interior.  But the interior was all original red.  Who would have ordered a gold car with a red interior?  I then noticed a welded seem along the floor were the floor pan curves up and meets were the metal goes under the seat.  Whoever did the work did a real nice job.

My floors have never been replaced, but I found a few pinholes where the floor is starting to get thin.  I descided not to replace the floors because the floors will last long enough until the next restoration.  I can see why the floors go bad on these cars with the style of padding under the carpet GM used.

I wish I had a friend in the upholstery business to help me out on the top replacement.  I also saw the video in the USA parts supply catalog.  Sounds like a good investment.

Randy

densie

>  the "engine temp" light/buzzer going off when you open the door

My 76 hearse does this, and Im not sure that its a problem.  When the engine overheats, it also makes the buzzer sound, and so Ive just assumed that its the same buzzer that sounds when you open the door with the key in.  That would complete the circuit and turn the light on as well.

-densie