News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Really nice 42 on eBay

Started by Steve Cole, March 09, 2005, 02:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Cole

Nice 1942 Fleetwood:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4532914271&category=6152 TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4532914271&category=6152

Someday Id like to add a 40s Caddy to my current Cadillac collection of one.

This one looks real nice although it seems to me that theres some black overspray in the engine compartment. Anyways, a nice listing due to the dozens of nice photos, scan of the original build sheet, and some video files!

Doug Hopuston

Nice LOOKING car. Obviously, it was put through the guys body shop and they did a beautiful job on it. On many of the (extremely artistic) views, the Antoinette Blue shows rather accurately. It shows nicely unmtil you see the interior. The cleaner swipes are glaring, and it looks very tacky; certainly not becoming the appearance of the exterior. The bids are already uip pretty high, assuming no shills, and it looks as though somebody is going to pay a bundle for this piece. Id surely want to test drive it before Id bid on it.

JIM CLC # 15000

03-09-05
Some of the hose clamps are present-day clamps.
Good Luck,but a nice car, Jim

wm link

Its too bad about the choice of fabric on a car like that...

Ted

Shouldnt the front seat be leather if there is a divider?

wm link

I want to say that on the 60s it was available with a leather front seat as an option. Please correct me if needed.

Barry Wheeler #2189

Leather front seats were used on ..33 7 Pass. Imperial sedans, the ..33F, which was the same with a blanked out quarter window and leather roof. The five passenger ..59 was also a blanked out quarter window and could be had with either leather or cloth on the front seat (I think). Also, the special features book shows that you could get your Cadillac painted puce, delete extra seats, whatever. "Have it your way" wasnt invented in the 80s by Wendys, Burger King, or whomever it was. Also, there were LaSalle Imperials with division, some custom 1941 Series 62 sedans, the Series 65 in 1938 was available as an Imperial as well.

Doug Houston

I have a 41`-60SF sdean, and the front and rear compartments are both in gray Bedford Cord. Normally, you would expect a car like this to be chauffeur driven, and possibly mine was...who knows? It was originally sold in Philadelphia, and Ive had it for 49 years. Anyway, you would see leather front compartments or cloth, as the subject 42 has. Its just the way the original owner ordered the car. You could have full leather on any Cadillac any year as well. I recall that in 41. there were something like 40 choices of interiors for the 60 Specials.

Barry Wheeler #2189

Doug, I think the forty choices dont include all the special order ones in that elusive swatch book we were speaking of last June in South Bend. I found a 41-60S once in a junk yard that was a true SO and had exceptional cloth in it. I have a piece of unfaded scrap "somewhere" in the garage or house, but havent been able to put my hands on it for about five years. The 41 60S was the last true custom car in the USA. Carl Steig went through the build sheets and found over 80 different colors, including red, copper, peach, a "bumble-bee" combo of black and bright yellow. The body #1 car, the Bradley custom, was a different black than the common code 51. The work on that car covered five build sheets. My 1941 6733 Imperial had ice blue (light metallic blue) carpet unfaded under one of the jump seats. Try keeping that clean in Indiana winters. I think in the late thirties and forties, Cadillac had some fantastic cars. Just go through the list of the SO colors for the 1940 LaSalles in the LaSalle book. These were not cars that were offered. They were built! Ah, to be young again. To close, I was looking at the Jan 1964 Self Starter issue...My first...And in the for sale list was a 1940 LaSalle 52 convertible for $350.00.

Doug Houston

Barry... I just counted 96 interior trim combinations for 1941 from listing in the 51 parts book. Some are for all series, some for 75 only, and 51 of them are 60S only!  Grat sizzers gust!