News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

32 V 8 355b Head gasket

Started by Don Pettee, March 17, 2005, 11:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Pettee

Can anyone explain why the head gasket has a double thickness "patch" rivited at the center bottom corresponding to the large hole (1-1/1/8") in both the head and water jacket.  Its obvious that the intent is to block the water flow and I was curious what the history of this might be.  Also would like to know if the "patch " should face up or down?  Also recommended torque on the head bolts?

Second, the heads are stamped with a 3/8"-1/2"  H C in the middle.  I have seen older models with a more distictive H C for high compression and would like to know if the 32 had two different head types or whats the significance of the H C .  You have to lot real close to see the initials.
Any comments would be appreciated.
DON PETTEE #20471 32-355-V8

Wayne Womble

First let me say that I am no 32 expert, but I have looked at a few and have a 31 and 33. My guess on the large hole in the middle is that the hole was needed for access in the casting process. Gaskets are generally used with the crimped edges up. If you look at the gasket, one side is flat, the other is rolled. The rolled side is up. 32s could have had either Standard or HC heads. I think that the HC is generally on a raised pad in the center area of the head. They certainly are in 31 and 33. Someone may have converted those to HC. I dont know of any published specification for the head bolts. Head bolts of that size are usually torqued 65-75 lbs.

Johan Boltendal 158

I agree with Wayne on the gasket reply, there was no torque setting invented yet, so also no settings.
Heads for the 355B came in LC, HC, HHC .
HC was the standard equipment, LC for low octane fuel /export countries, HHC on special request.

Don Pettee #20471

I have a couple of mid twenties Buicks and some of the holes in the head were filled in on later castings. I was told that they found the water was flowing too fast through the head and the cars would run hot.  Reducing the flow allows the water to absorb or disipate more heat and they run cooler. I dont know if this is true but was curious if Cadillac did the same but I suspect your comment on the casting process makes more sense.  Thanks for the info on the head gasket as Ill be putting it on tommorow.

Don Pettee