News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Another 1972 Eldo problem

Started by Brian Daum, 18809, March 18, 2005, 09:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Daum, 18809

Hi again,

One more 1972 Eldo problem to be solved, what would we do without this forum?

This time I am trying to change a defect ignition cylinder. In order to get to it I had to remove the steering wheel. Now I`m to the point where I`m facing the turn signal switch and there is no way I can remove the turn signal lever. In the Shop Manual it says "remove turn signal lever screw and remove lever" - but there is no lever screw!!

On a few other cars I have had the end of the lever has been threaded and easy to remove. I don`t want to use force on this lever until I am 100 percent sure that`s the way to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Brian

JIM CLC # 15000

03-18-05
Brian, I dont have a solution,but,I do admire the problem!
Sorry, the devil made me say that.
Brian, the same person that wrote your manual is now writing instructions for computer programs. He (they) assume that you know a lot more then they do.
But, to get to your problem.
A couple of things come to mind.
Could be that you think only the TS handle comes-out, but I bet that a lot more or a larger piece comes-out.
Try to see if you can discern what the TS handle is connected to and if you remove that will it allow you to complete the task.
Good Luck, Jim

Brian Daum, 18809

Hi Jim,
Thank you for your input, I never read any other manuals than old car manuals, and especially not computer manuals, I sort of live by the rule "when all else fails - read the manual"

Anyway, when it comes to the turn signal lever, the only way to get the switch out will be to remove the lever as well.

There is gotta be someone out there that has changed an ignition cylinder before - PLEASE HELP - PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!

Brian

George

I think if you have cruise control, you have to remove the harness before you can get at the screw. If you dont have cruise, the screw should be visible on the switch, at the end of the lever. The shift lever must also be in Park position.

Brian Daum, 18809

Hi again,

Thanks for all your input, but my car doesn`t have cruise control, so there is no harnass to remove. And I wish there was a screw at the end of the lever, but there isn`t! It is also in park.

In one of the pictures in one of the previous posts you can clearly see what is called "lever screw" - this screw is not there - and the lever is fastened some other way.

Where the screw is supposed to be, there is some kind of rectagonal fastener with almost like a small rivet. I can always drill out this "rivet" but how do I fasten it again?

Anyway, anything that has been assembled can be disassembled. But this one looks like a hard one to solve, since no one has come up with solution yet.

I still have a feeling the end of the lever is threaded???

Brian

JIM CLC # 15000

03-19-05
Brian, is the TS lever a "multi-function"lever, or does it only operate the turn-signals?
If it is single porpose, maybe the knob screws-off and the whole assembly is removed thru the column hub.
Any way you can post some photos of the beast?
Good Luck, Jim

George

I have checked every full size GM car from this period. All have the same screw on switch.  However this is from the Chilton manual for the Eldorado.   1 Remove steering wheel. 2 Remove lockplate cover assembly. 3 Compress lockplate spring, remove snap ring from groove in shaft. 4 Remove lockplate and slide turn signal cam and upper bearing preload spring off the upper steering shaft. 5 Remove thrust washer from shaft.6 Remove hazard switch from the column along with turn signal lever. ( all the GM cars appear to have a single screw holding the lever)
The assembly should then have 3 screws securing it.
If you remove the lever, and the above is not the case, let us know. It will be interesting.

Lars Langoy

Hi Brian

I do belive the lever is just threaded at the end as you think,
it like that on my 70 Eldo anyway.
Check this lever on eBay, it will might give you a hint.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4537122644&category=10076&sspagename=WDVW TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4537122644&category=10076&sspagename=W

Regards
Lars

George

The cruise lever is different. I understand your car does not have cruise.

Brian Daum, 18809

Hi again,
No, my car does not have cruise control, but the end of the lever towards the column looks like the cruise control lever. It looks just like you could use a wrench to remove it, and so does the tilt lever.

I tried tonight to work on the turn signal "rivet", but there is just no way I can remove it, I am getting a little annoyed by the whole deal.......

Is there still nobody out there with an idea how to remove the lever????

Brian

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Brian,

I have just read the section on removing the turn switch lever in the Workshop Manual, and there are a couple of differences.

Fig. 9-50 of section 9 page 45, shows the normal type, and Fig. 9-59 on section 9 page 51 shows the exploded view of the tilt type column.

In a car without tilt steering and cruise control, the lever is retained by the screw in the notmal GM fashion.

But, in a car with tilt column, the lever is retained by physically unscrewing the lever as per the cruise control type.

Even though you dont have cruise control, is it possible that someone has removed the cruise control components and left the lever as it was.

Looking through the book, I find it hard to believe that a vehicle could be ordered with Tilt/Tele without CC.

I am afraid that you will have to persevere with trying to unscrew the lever, as if you cant see the screw as in the old type, then it is a screw-in type.

If the lever goes into the side of the traficator mechanism, then it is definately a screw-in type.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Richard Pope

In my 72 Eldo conv that has Tilt/Tele but NO cruise...the turn signal lever simple unscrews from the column.

Hope this helps...

Richard

George

When you say unscrews, does it have a threaded end, or do you remove a screw to release the lever.

Richard Pope

Mine has a threaded end and unscrews counter-clockwise (turn towards the dash) to loosen.

I did test this before I posted. Hope mine isnt an oddity (T/T without cruise)!

Brian Daum, 18809

Hi again all helpers!

Yes the lever was threaded at the end facing the column, and it came out with a little more force than usual, this since the threads actually were a little rusted, threads get more rusted in a convertible.

Apparently you could unscrew the lever, even in a car without CC! No word of this in the shopmanual! I am sure this car never came with CC.

But what a job to change the ignition lock cylinder! It was certainly a lot easier on older cars with the locks on the dash!

Once again, thanks to all!!

Regards

Brian

densie

Working from vague memory here, but does the lever have a flat spot near the column?  I recall putting a small crescent wrench on the flat spot and unscrewing a turn signal lever, but dont know if it was a GM or not.

BTW, I have to do one of these, so when you get it all figured out, Ill have to bug you with my questions.

-denise