News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

carpet for 57 cadillac

Started by david taft 6746, March 18, 2005, 08:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david taft 6746

I need original like carpet for restoration of a 57 series 62 convertible..colour blue..Jenkins has carpet but it doesnt look the same as original..appreciate any advice

Randall A McGrew CLC # 17963

David :

I just got samples back from SMS Interiors on my 56 and they are dead on!  Very good but pricy.  Check them out on the web :

http://www.smsautofabrics.com/ TARGET=_blank>www.smsautofabrics.com/

Brian Daum, 18809

Hi,

Does SMS do carpets as well? I was told Jenkins had the closest to original on the market today, but they were expensive.

Most replacement carpets I`ve seen these last years for Cadillacs have been real bad quality, the last one I changed in a 56 Sixty Special were really thin and had  poor fit. (ACC)

Before when I dealed with Chevys I bought carpets that were of excellent quality and fit. (NPD)

It would be fun if someone had any experience with a good supplier of quality Cadillac carpets.

Regards

Brian

Randall McGrew CLC # 17963

I cannot vouch for the quality but if they are anything like the seat or headliner cloth, they should be excellent.  I should see about a sample though to be sure.

Barry Wheeler #2189

My memory is not what it used to be, but I think the original carpet in my 57 convertible I used to have was a long fiber that reminded you of mouton or a Persian Cats fur. It was also similar to the dElegance carpets of the late 70s and early eighties. There would not be enough demand to support reproduction carpets like this.

Bret Scott (CLC 21765)

Hi, David-

I can also vouch for SMS Auto, and they can provide samples of their materials ahead of any order so that you are confident of the match.  As others have mentioned, youll pay a premium for a great match.

You might also try Original Auto Interiors out of Columbus, Michigan (www.originalauto.com).  They have really good customer service, and they might be able to provide an exact carpet match, although Ill admit I have never ordered carpets of this vintage from them.  On fabrics, theyve consistently been less in cost than SMS on projects where Ive compared prices, although I suspect that SMS may have a larger inventory/selection.  They should also be able to provide you a sample of what youll receive before you order.

On a tangent thought, I visited Original Auto while I was redoing the interior of my 62 coupe, and it was fun walking through their moderate collection of vintage automotive materials.  I ended up purchasing a fabric from a bolt that was tested by GM Design but ultimately not chosen for production... something I would not have even considered asking about.

Good luck in your carpet search,

Bret