News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

37 Fleetwd, Tranny & Pumpkin Lube?

Started by Joseph P. McCormick CLC #14142, April 20, 2005, 09:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph P. McCormick CLC #14142

Hello,  I just drained  the rear end and transmission and need to replace them with the proper fluids. My glove box manual says I should bring it back to the Cadillac Dealer for a special hypoid lubricant and that it takes 5 pints.  The manual also says that the tranmssion takes 2 1/2 pints, SAE 90.  It looked like the same stuff from both places when I drained it.  Can anyone tell what and where I could purchase the replacement fluids?  Thanks, Joe.

Rhino 21150

80-90 hypoid gear oil is available at any parts store. Ive been looking through Google for advice on using the modern stuff in old cars and cant find anything yet. However, my dad says he had the oil in the tranny and rear of the car I have now (38-5019) replaced with the off the shelf stuff about seven years ago. The tranny seems fine, shifts easily and makes no noise. Sounds like a recommendation to me.

Joseph P. McCormick CLC #14142

Hello Rhino,  Thanks for your reply.  I will get four quarts at the local parts store and fill both the pumpkin and the tranny back up again.   Joe

Harry Scott (4195)

Several years ago I spoke to the technical people at Valvoline as to whether or not the new oils were compatable with the bronze bushings in the rears and trannys. Their explanation was they are OK due to reduced sulphur content. Apparently that is what harms the bronze.

Joseph P. McCormick

Hello Harry,  Thanks alot for your information, it is greatly appreciated.  Joe