News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

39 5019 Sadan Valves sticking

Started by Bob, April 22, 2005, 11:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

I had the engine stored for 7 years during restoration starting car I found three of the cylinders have no compression hence valves sticking. I am trying to find head gaskets or engine gasket packages as I believe pulling the heads and tapping the valves to free them up is my only option. If you know of any other option I would appretiate your input.

Bill Sullivan

I found with one of my flatheads that running the engine with the remaining cylinders for some time (hours) did free up the bad ones and much of their compression returned.

I would not assume the valves are stuck either.  Could be the rings are stuck.  The seats or stems of the open valves could be corroded and preventing the valve to seat properly.  These problems can correct themselves with some running time on the engine.  I suspect that is what happened with my engine.  

You can look through the spark plug hole and see if the valves are moving when you turn the engine over by hand too.

Of course if the engine is in need of rebuild anyway, you may as well remove the heads and get started!

Good luck!

Bill
Albuquerque    

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Bob- You can get all your gaskets from Coopers Vintage Parts in CA Phone 818-567-4140. Resonable on his prices and a nice guy. His web site below will show a lot of his parts

http://www.coopersvintage.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.coopersvintage.com/

JIM CLC # 15000

04-22-05
Bob, as the other Bob said, you can see if the valves are open or closed by turning over the engine with the spark-plugs removed.
If some dont close, spray a little WD-40 or some other "penertrating oil"into and on the valve "stem" and let set for a while.
Second Idea. If you can see the top of the valve, take a "L"shape piece and gently tap on the surface of the valve.(just make sure that the cam is in the correct position and dont get "heavy-handed" with the taps).
Good Luck, hope you get it un-stuck, Jim