News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1969 Cadillac Calais - engine and chassis numbers - location?

Started by Paul Rawnsley, April 27, 2005, 10:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Rawnsley

Hi
I have a recently purchased 1969 Cadillac Calais 4-dr sedan. It is due for a registration change-over to my name and the Inspection mechanic needs to see the chassis and engine numbers stamped on the car before he will sign off for the transfer.  The previous owner does not know where they are.  The car is fitted with a 472.
Does anyone know where are they both stamped?
The small plate that is located at the bottom left-hand side of the windscreen has been covered over by some black stuff involved with sealing the dash to the car and I cannot get in there to scrape it away.  
The inspector said the numbers must be stamped into the engine block and chassis, rather than a separate plate, etc.
If you have any info regarding where these 2 numbers are located on the vehicle, I would really appreciate knowing.

Best Regards
Paul Rawnsley
paul.rawnsley@bigpond.com
Darwin, NT, Australia.

George

The 472ci. identity number is stamped on the top of the rear engine block adjacent to the transmission. The 8 digit serial number is only on the dashboard. Perhaps cellulose thinners will move the black sealant. at least enough to read the numbers.

Lynn 10923

I hope the engine has never been swapped for another one, or those numbers wont match up. You might also find the number in a machined boss on the side of the transmission. The number Cadillac stamped there is the same as the VIN or chassis number, at least for a few years. The only place on the body to find them is under the windshield.

Lynn

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Paul, sorry to hear you have hard line inspectors down under also. I recommend you pull the dash to clean & reveal that plate. Not a big job. That # should match your import paperwork. If not, youre in trouble. NOBODY goes by engine #s anymore. Hook up with a mate that has import experience. There is also a blue plate on the LH door that has the same #. The engine # is NOT a complete #. Gday, Bob