News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Nut & Bolt Rust Removal

Started by Ralph Messina CLC 4937, April 29, 2005, 08:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Does anyone have a method of removing rust and cleaning old nuts and bolts? I’m parting a ’66 and have accumulated a large lot of big and small nuts, bolts, screws and fasteners. They have the usual grease and rust accumulated over 40 years.  I hoping there’s some miracle solution these can be soaked in. Any help will be appreciated.
Ralph

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Ralph,

The tried and proven method of cleaning up parts is the Molasses Bath

Let the parts soak for any time up to two weeks, and when they come out, the rust will be gone and they will be ready to be used again.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Johan Boltendal 158

The stuff that works your wonders is found at
http://www.safestrustremover.com TARGET=_blank>www.safestrustremover.com It will amaze you in the same
way it has amazed myself. The only thing is, you have to get rid of the fat and oil first.The fluid removes all rust after
about 24 to 48 hours.I put all my nuts and bolts in the fluid from my 32 and they resurfaced like new.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Guys,

Thanks for the help.

Ralph

Steve #20480

An inexpensive way to clean rusty parts is to use white distilled vinegar that you a purchase at your local gorcery store for under $2.00/gal. For very rusted/corroded parts it isnt very effective, but for light surface rust, you will be amazed how well it works. Some tricks for it to work best:
1) Make sure the part is completely submerged in the vinegar, if not it will leave a line where it sticks out.
2) use #0000 steel wool to clean the parts after you have soaked them overnight (suggest you were latex-type gloves), if there is still some rust continue soaking.
3) once cleaned rinse with tap water and dry with a cloth, otherwise it may discolor.
4) dont leave thin rusty parts like chrome clips for an extended length of time, there will be nothing left.
5) 1 thru 4 I learned from trial and error.
I have used this method with great success, it will strip your parts to bare metal. Afterwhich I take the variuos parts to get eletro-plated in clear or yellow zinc, whichever is suitable.
Good Luck, Steve