News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Questions about my 47.

Started by Bob Richards, April 30, 2005, 09:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Richards

I am restoring a 47 60S. Does anybody recommend someone to restore my radio. Also, under my hood on the top of the fender near the drivers side electrical junct. block is a hand written (in paint) the serial #, the date of 2/14/47, and Don Lee,LA . I know that Don was the big Caddy dealer in LA, but what I am getting at is how do I preserve these markings when it comes time to paint? Thanks, Bob.

JIM CLC # 15000

04-30-05
Bob, I know that it will look tacky, but the only way that I see is to tape-over the written info.
You could use clear tape and a razor knife to remove all of the un-necessary tape.
Good Luck, Jim
P.S. Second option.
Take a picture and have a sign-painter duplicate it.
All CLC members wont tell anyone.LOL

Doug Houston

It was common for many years for the dealer to stencil the serial number, the body style, boy number of the car somewhere under the hood, as youre describing. Sometimes on the firewall, sometimes on the grille housing. This was done so that when the car came in for service, the write-up guy had all of that information right in sight. Whod know the difference if youd get a stecill made to replace the original markings? Its not even an issue of authenticity, as it wasnt a factory item.

Art#22010

Bob, you could cover the items with vasoline ,spray over and after drying wipe of the vasoline and with a little saved paint touch up the areas. Ive used this method with good results. Art