News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Towing w/95 Deville?

Started by TJH 20664, May 31, 2005, 10:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJH 20664

Hey all

I had to replace my daily driver 93 roadmaster with a 95 deville.  I ended up with the deville because there just are not many roadmasters or fleetwoods around these parts that are not rusted.  I did find out there are tons of devilles and except for the lack of RWD and towing capacity they are nice riding cars.  I am putting a hitch on mine mostly for hauling around a lawnmower and a bike rack.  The hitch places are telling me I need a power converter to protect the computer for the light hook up.  One guy said that was not a problem till 96 and even then it was not a big deal.  Anybody know for sure?  I guess it is a relay box that isolates the cars system from the trailer so basically the trailer is powered direct from the battery.   The box is $60-100 without labor.  Also was wondering if I should get the class 1 or 2 hitch.  They are both 1 ¼” receiver types so they will work with my bike rack.  The class 1 is good for 2000lbs and the 2 is 3500lbs but twice the money.  The owners manual says 1000lbs towing max.  I did look at a 96 and it said properly equipped with an oil cooler 3500lbs.  From what I could tell the only difference between these cars is the 96 has the 4.6 northstar while mine has the 4.9.  I would assume that the brakes and the chassis could handle the 3500lbs they were just concerned about the 4.9 being able to handle the extra stress from the average joe trying to pull the camper in overdrive through the mountains.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks!

TJ Hopland

Clc 20664

’73 eldo convert
’95 deville