News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado Covertible

Started by Duane Hampton, June 30, 2005, 11:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duane Hampton

Hey Gang I need your help.. Im in the final stages of restoration of my 1976 eldo convertible can I install a late model steering wheel on this vehicle??  Im looking at a 98-05 Deville wood grain wheel..Help!!!

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Duane,

You did say Restoration didnt you?

Make sure you disable the Air Bag first.

You cant remove it or it will leave a big ugly mess to cover up.

And, you might even have to stick an aftermarket horn button on the dash board.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

P.S.   I have great doubts that it will fit, or even look any good.

Duane Hampton

Thanks for the info theres a company on ebay selling them with the airbag removed....I was looking for a slightly different look with the partial woodgrain wheel... Im not sure how it will look???

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Duane,

Firstly, with the airbag removed, unless they have fabricated a huge centre cover, it will look horrible.   The Explosive charge is attached to the bag container as a unit.

Secondly, I wouldnt be surprised if the spline, and indicator cancelling mechanism wont line up.

Thirdly, the Rub Rings will probably be in the wrong place and wont be able to operate the features like Horn, etc.

Forthly, the distance away from the Column shrouding and Telescoping mechanism will possibly be way out of alignment, leaving a gap, or worse still, binding.

Lastly, the large size of the hub, might impinge on your ability to actually see the dash gauges.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV