News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fuel System Cleaner

Started by T.L. (Ty) Stinson, July 11, 2005, 10:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T.L. (Ty) Stinson

Question: My 37 V-12 starts easy and runs after storage for about 6 to 7 years. However, there is some white/blue smoke. The previous owner told me that this should clear after running for awhile. The owner had drained the fuel line. After transporting the car home I added 5 gals of fresh regular gasoline and drove the car up my driveway. So the car has not run very long. I wonder if I should add Red Line SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner to the fuel in the tank. I am concerned that this product is used as a Lead substitute but should clean the system very well I am told. Many thanks. Ty

T.L. (Ty) Stinson

Sorry: I forgot to mention that the car had been stored with fuel preservative. This may be the cause of the smoke?

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Ty- Anytime that I have bought an old car the first thing I want to know is the condition of that engine, regardless of what the previous owner has told me.The first thing I do is drop the oil pan to see how clean or how much crud there is in the bottom of the pan. I then run a compression check on the engine which will show how strong or weak is that engine. If you have some weak compression readings then squirt some oil in the plug holes of the weak cylinders, turn the engine over a few seconds and then take another compression reading. If the reading comes up then your problem is with the rings,if the reading does not come up then your problem is the valves and how well they are seating. Two places oil can reach your combustion chamber,the valve guides and the rings. The valve guides and rings act as oil seals so as the engine wears,some oil gets by and gets burned. The other area that might let oil in to be burned is a bad diaphragm in the engine fuel pump. A tear in the diaphragm can allow oil into the intake manifold to be burned. I think in your case a good compression check will tell you the condition of your engine and then go from there.

T.L. (Ty) Stinson

Many thanks Bill: I will do that. Sounds like the best way to plan for future needs and know where I stand at this point. Ty