News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 Lasalle bumpers same as 40 Cadillac?

Started by Brad Janousek, August 22, 2005, 08:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Janousek

Are the 40 cadillac bumpers the same as a 40 lasalle?  Especially the front.  I picked up a 40 62series conv. without bumpers and have a chance at some lasalle one but the front doesnt have the grill guard which I need.  Also would the trunk lid be the same?  The trunk is off from a lasalle coupe.  Thanks, Brad

Barry Wheeler #2189

Hi Brad,
According to the Master Parts list, the LaSalle and Cadillac bumpers are different. A Series 52 LaSalle trunk lid would fit. Also a 1941 62, 1940/41 Buick Super/Roadmaster/Olds 98 and Senior 40/41 Pontiac. And of course, all would have to be from coupes. Minor brazing to fill mounting holes can be expected as well. Cant guarantee the trunk lid support holes, but GM didnt make un-needed changes, so it is PROBABLE that they are all the same on the inside.

Brad Janousek

Brad Ipsen CLC#737

The word Cadillac is stamped in the bumper for 1940 and LaSalle is stamped in the bumper for LaSalles.  The accessory grille guard is the same I believe.  There are five different Cadillac bumper bars in 1940.  They vary in curvature and length to accommodate various models.  

Barry Wheeler #2189

Dear Brad,
While my post is technically correct, I love your saying that the Cadillac bumpers have C A D I L L A C and the LaSalle ones have L A S A L L E on them. Like, duh! How many cells does my brain lose per day???

Don Boshara #594

The difference between the LaSalle and Cadillac grill guards is the verticle bumper guards due to the different shape of the bumpers. If you can get a complete LaSalle guard your existing guards can be slotted  for the cross bars and a plate welded inside the guards for the cross bars retainer.

Rhino 21150

On the 38 the bumpers are interchangeable, there is a hole in the center so that a separate ID plate can be bolted on. They got cheaper it seems by stamping the bumper in 40. The separate plate requires labor. But it also provided a mounting place for my aftermarket back-up light. And the front license plate.