News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Full Time Oil Filter for 59 390 Engine

Started by Bob S, September 02, 2005, 09:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob S

Hi,
I was wondering if the full time oil filter from a later engine can be installed on a 59 390 engine?  If so, how hard is it to do and what parts do I need?

Thanks,
Bob

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

The engine block from 1959 does not has the provision to install the filter adapter. It wont be easy to do that conversion!

Roger

Bob S

Roger,
Thanks for the reply.  That is what I thought the reply would be.

John

Hello Bob,
I have a 390 in my 59 SDV and its oil filter is the spin-on type (AC # PF-24). It is located on the lower right side of the block (passenger side). This is the only one I have seen like this. Every one I have seen in person or in pictures has the canister mounted up on the front of the intake next to the radiator return. I dont know if this is an aftermarket item or not, but it has the AC logo casted on it. I admit it is much easier than the canister type, cleaner too!
I change the oil every two months and next time Im under there Ill look for a part# on the unit and forward it to you.
Good Luck,   John

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday John,

Sorry to inform you but someone has changed the block in your car for a 60 to 62 part.

The spin-on filter didnt start till 60.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV