News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Eldo Convertible Purchase

Started by Scott Porter, September 06, 2005, 05:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Porter

I just joined CLC, but dont know my membership number yet.

I now own the 1980 Seville Elegante my grandparents bought new and want to add my favorite Cad to the garage, a 76 Eldo Conv.

In my search for the perfect car, I find myself hungry for information and have alot of questions. Such as: Is the fuel injection option similar to my 80 Seville with the 350, or should I stay away from it as this will be a driver, not a garage queen?

Im looking for official information on what options where available, colors, VIN numbers, etc. I noticed Biarritz included in the description of a Bicen that was sold at auction.  Are there some 76 Biarritz convertibles? If so, what does it include?

Cars with under 1000 miles are plentiful, but I am concerned about a car with too low mileage. Dry seals, corroded brake lines, etc. Wouldnt a car with 15-20K miles that is regularly driven so its mechanicals are exercised be better?

Any advise from someone experienced with these cars would be appreciated.

Thank you, Scott Porter

Denise 20352

The fuel-injected engine is totally different.  It is actually a Cadillac 500 engine, whereas the one in the 80 Seville is an Olds 350.  You can find some experts in 500 FI engines at the MTS forum, http://forums.500cid.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://forums.500cid.com/

-denise

Mike #19861

The EFI engine for 1976 was the Cadillac 500. Sevilles and the 1979 Eldorado used the Olds 350 with a similar EFI set up. This was essentially a Bosch system adaped to the Olds and Cadillac engines.

The EFI engines for 1980 were a differant animal. They were based on the Cadillac 368 and were a GM developed system. They featured the first ever self diagnostics, and used a throttle body injection system in lieu of the port type used previously.

Super low mile cars are great museum pieces, and should be left that way. You are correct in the assumtion that dry seals and so on would cause problems with one of these cars when pressed into even semi-regular service.

A car with 30,000 plus miles that has been used enough to keep things in good repair would be a better choice. This car would be more reliable when used even for show duty and nice day drives.

Mike

Scott Porter

Thanks for the replay Mike, Pretty much what I was thinking.  By the way, my 80 Seville ia a California model with the Olds 350 and port injection not the 368.

Pat

All California 1980 Eldorados and Sevilles were produced with the Olds 350, the 1980 Cadillac 368 did not meet California emission standards.

Pat