Author Topic: I added pictures and then lost everything!  (Read 6369 times)

Offline Fred Zwicker #23106

• 1930 LaSalle Conv. Coupe - Restored
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #23106
  • Name: Fred Zwicker
I added pictures and then lost everything!
« on: May 13, 2007, 10:09:07 AM »
 :(  I worked up a nice long post and at the end added 2 pictures (each was under 500 KB but combined they were over 500 KB).  When I hit the "post' button, everything was lost, including my pictures, but more of a disappointment was that I lost all of my very long post wording. (I will now save my wording temporarily before posting).  Your wording below the Attach block is a little confusing regarding the limit, as I thought the limit was 500 KB each picture, not 500 KB for the combined 2 pictures.   Possibly you could reword this as follows:

Allowed attachments per post 2, with a maximum combined size of 500 KB

If in doubt, always go down to 8th grade level.  Thanks,

Fred Zwicker

P.S. The new forum is great after a very short adjustment period.  Spell check is really appreciated, as is the ease of adding photos.  It won't take long for all members to accept this major improvement. I also like the feature of receiving emails when my posts are answered.  Congratulations on a very successful and fast changeover with few glitches.  Someone did a LOT of work on this.
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Offline Jeff Hansen

• Administrator
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #4225
  • Name: Jeff Hansen
Re: I added pictures and then lost everything!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 09:44:41 PM »
Fred,

The next time this happens, hit your browser's Back button until you get back to the page where you did your typing.  You should still see all of the text you entered.   If you do go back, and all of the text is missing, empty out your browser's cache.  When form text disappears like that, a full cache is usually the culprit.  Once you empty the cache, going back after a failure should result in your original text.

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Offline Fred Zwicker #23106

• 1930 LaSalle Conv. Coupe - Restored
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #23106
  • Name: Fred Zwicker
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 07:33:01 AM »
Hello Jeff,

Thanks much for the advice.  I did use the back button, but no copy displayed. I know nothing about emptying my browser's cache and doubt if 50% or more of the CLC members know this either. 

I write instructions and also do ad copy for a major supplier of tools and equipment for the antique car restoration hobby and learned many years ago that if there is any way for customers to misinterpret anything, some will probably do so.  When I first started the business, we had few customers and very sketchy instructions.  As a result, I spent most all of my time on the phone troubleshooting the product and telling people how to work the equipment.  As a result, I soon developed better instructions, but still got a lot of calls. About 15 years ago, we changed all of our instructions and ad copy to "8th grade level" and have saved thousands of dollars in phone calls, lost orders, etc.  This is not to say that we have all the answers, but we have most.  A few years ago, we had some very complicated issues in our instructions that needed work and at the time I asked the head of our advertising department if she worded everything in 8th grade level.  Her reply was, "pre-school". The changes were just that and we have stayed with that program since.  We even publish detailed troubleshooting charts for all of our equipment, providing step by step solutions to the common questions, as well as detailed "Safety First" information, which is of great importance.

People who develop instructions for computers normally feel that others are as familiar with the technology as they are, and as a result much is overlooked, and people are confused. I just bought a new router and installed it about a week ago.  The instructions (on CD) were the best I had ever seen and step by step I was going through the process successfully.  Then came Step 9 and a "password" was required. There was no password on the box, nor on the bottom of the router or anywhere else, so I had to call the help line, listen to recordings for about 10-15 minutes and finally hooked up with "Darwin"  in India (12 hour time difference). He was good, but the process took another 20 minutes, simply because the CD Instructions had a fatal error in requiring a password that did not exist.  He asked me to put in "admin" and it did not work, then some other simple passwords, which also did not work.  Manually we finally reconfigured everything and got it up and running. As a result, none of the routers sold by this company will work, and many will be returned and others will waste a lot of time in getting them to work, with unhappy customers and huge loss of profits. 

While your prompt reply and possible solution was greatly appreciated, it seems to me that changing the wording as I suggested might be more appropriate and in most cases, minimize the problem in the first place and make things simpler for the average user.  Just a suggestion....

Thank you for an otherwise great and improved site,

Fred Zwicker

« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 07:29:54 PM by Fred Zwicker #23106 »
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Misfit

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 06:59:30 AM »
 Fred, I do agree with computer instructions. I think I'll apply for a job as a software tester for idiots. That way if I can install it, anyone can.

Fins   ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:24:59 AM by John Serio #22631 »

Offline LeRoy DeVol

• Name: leroy devol
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »
I agree with Fred about the instructions that come with equipment or computer software. The only way most of us can navigate these systems is a step by step process written by a 8th grader.

Lee DeVol

Offline Jeff Maltby 4194

• 49 fastback
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 09:03:52 AM »
Fred. I believe you can find it by clicking on the history tab on the very upper task bar, which is located at top of screen, next to bookmarks in my case. Mine says file-edit-view-history-bookmarks-tools-help.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:35:16 PM by Jeff Maltby 4194 »
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Offline gary griffin

• garygriffin@Q.com
  • Name: Gary Griffin
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 07:31:27 PM »

I just adjusted my attitude and realize at 72 years old I am an analog guy trying to get by in a digital world.

I have post a notes on my the side of my printer with procedures for technical procedures but they often change and I don't keep them current. When I have  a procedural problem I get one of my kids or their spouse walk me through the necessary steps and write them on the aforementioned  post a notes.

The main thing is that I can find interesting things on the internet and enjoy them

My kids want me to get a smart phone but so far I have resisted having something in my pocket smarter than I am.

We live in such a wonderful age when one can reach into his pocket and access all of the information mankind has accumulated in his entire history.

Members are so good about posting computer procedures  and I thank them.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1942 Cadillac 6719 (parts car) (Gone)
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)