News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 temperature sending unit

Started by jimi, May 30, 2008, 02:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimi

Hi , I'm looking for a usable (working) sending unit for my 1941 Cadillac . Any assistance would be greatly appreciated .   Thanks

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Jimi - check this thread:  http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,98705.0.html

Seems finding sender units for those of us on 6 volts is somewhat problematic.   You'll see Terrill Machine mentioned in that thread - they used to list senders in their ad in Hemmings.  You might give them a call.  Their contact info. is:

Terrill Machine
Route 2, Box 61
De Leon, Texas 76444
254-893-2610

Dave
Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe

Bill Ingler #7799

Don`t quick run out and buy a sender unit until you are sure the one in the engine is really bad. Suggest you remove the sender unit and make sure the threads in the engine head are clear of any corrasion as well as the threads on the sender. Put it back in the head but DO NOT USE ANY SEALANT. You need a metal to metal contact. If there is any SEALANT or tape then you will get a false or no reading from the unit. In addition to what Dave said about Terril Machine you might try Ed Cholakion in Las Vegas, web site below.

http://www.allcads.com/

Jack Mcilwraith

lately, there has been a fellow selling newly re-manufactured units on eBay. His eBay name is kenney.508. Depending on the interest,prices have ranged from $20.50 to $69.95.

jimi

Thanks for all of the response !! Much appreciated !!!

TonyZappone #2624

If you were to come into my garage, there is a lineup of new (and the original  sending unit) lined up on the bench.  as of today, none of them work.  I think Bill Ingler's idea is of the greatest merit.  I looked at the original one the other day, and the threads were still kind of skunky.  Marty Watkins (greatly respected also in mechanical matters) suggests that the original sending unit is seldom the problem.  After totally cleaning the threads on the unit, and thoroughly cleaning the threads in the block, I will try again, hopefully this week.  Stay tuned.  Also, the recent installation of a new wiring harness may provide a perfect wiring conduit to send the signal to the gauge.  Tony
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

jimi

Sometime in my cars history , someone added an aftermarket temp guage (wisely installing it under the dash rim) and it works perfectly . It was only an assumption that the reason the temp guage didn't work was the sending unit . I'll report back after some further investigation .

TonyZappone #2624

Quote from: TonyZappone clc2624 on May 31, 2008, 07:00:06 AM
If you were to come into my garage, there is a lineup of new (and the original  sending unit) lined up on the bench.  as of today, none of them work.  I think Bill Ingler's idea is of the greatest merit.  I looked at the original one the other day, and the threads were still kind of skunky.  Marty Watkins (greatly respected also in mechanical matters) suggests that the original sending unit is seldom the problem.  After totally cleaning the threads on the unit, and thoroughly cleaning the threads in the block, I will try again, hopefully this week.  Stay tuned.  Also, the recent installation of a new wiring harness may provide a perfect wiring conduit to send the signal to the gauge.  Tony
I purchased a sending unit from Antique Auto Parts Cellar ( Also known as Then and Now auto parts).  I spoke to Tom Hannaford, he said his unit was made in this country, and that it worked.  I was able to install same earlier this week.  Because my shutters are disconnected, I saran wrapped the front grille, and went for a 15 minute drive.  (middle 60 degrees outside temperature).  At then end of the drive, the gauge read just under halfway.  The temperature of the radiator fluid was 185 (using a kitchen roast thermometer) and the surface of the radiator and the top outlets was about the same, measured by a non contact temperature sensor with laser.  At least now I know where I stand.  If I go over half on a hot day, I know I should probably begin checking for an overheating situation (with my trusty non contact laser gun).  This can be the only definitive element of success I have experienced with the collection of sending units in my possession. Moreover, Hannaford and his companies have an excellent reputation for their fuel pump kits, and their rebuilding services.  Try them.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle