News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hard cold start

Started by JerRita, September 14, 2017, 08:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerRita

Hi all I have an 87 Brougham w/ the 5.0 carbureted It runs flawlessly but if it sits overnight or even several hours I have to pump the pedal to start while cranking. Had the carburetor rebuilt and the choke is working. It seems like the gas is leaking out. Any suggestions? Thanks   
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

How long ago did you have the carb rebuilt and when did this start?

The fuel could be leaking out of the carb bowel as it sits overnight.
That's why you have to pump the petal and crank it to get her going.

I had this issue on an old Buick and rebuilding the carb cured it.  I
suspect an issue with the rebuild.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

TJ Hopland

I believe that has an air heated choke.   I never had an 80's Olds with an air heated choke when it was new but the well used ones never seem to work reliably so I would start by doing some checks to verify that the choke is working properly. 

Dead cold engine take the lid off the air cleaner and see what position the choke is in.  It should be somewhere between fully open and mostly closed.   If you poke at it it should be kinda limp and floppy.   

Next step 'step on the gas' this can easily be done standing over the engine by squeezing the cruise control servo.   When you do that the choke should snap fully shut and be pretty much locked in that position if you poke at it.    The servo is the round unit kinda by the alternator with the rod or chain leading under the air cleaner to the carb.  IF you put your fingers on the rod side and thumbs on the back you can just squeeze it and it will pull on the throttle linkage.   This saves you the trouble of going into the car or removing all the air cleaner housing to access the linkage. 

Next step is start it.  As soon as it starts it should be open about a 1/4 inch and not totally loose and floppy.

After a few minutes it should be fully open and not floppy and should stay that way unless it sits for a few hours. 

Let us know how those tests go.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason