News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 Power Steering Pump Rebuild

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, September 16, 2017, 10:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Greetings

Did my first run with the power steering pump connected.
New lines and I bled per the manual. Had a lot of bubbles while bleeding and kept turning the wheels until the bubbles stopped. Therefor I do not think there is a blockage in the lines.
Ran the car for about 10 minutes. There did not appear to be any steering assist and after a few minutes the pump and fluid were screeching hot. I mean hot.
So, I assume the bearing in there is shot. It did spin by hand, and admittedly not as smooth as I would have liked, but it was not siezed.
I have only seen a couple of rebuild kits on-line which is surprising but several kits for other models.
Any suggestions as to where to get a reasonably priced kit?
Should the fact that it didn't give any assist be a concern?
And finally, any tips on the rebuild? I have the manual but appreciate any advice.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Bobby B

Jeff,
Hi. For $162.00, You can send to Lares via RockAuto. Cheaper to go through RockAuto then Lares directly. I've spoken to them many times regarding this, and they say it's because they do so much volume through RockAuto, that they get a major discount. Same Quality, Same Warranty, so it's a no-brainer.....Good Luck!
                           Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

savemy67

Hello Jeff,

I am going to hazard a guess, and venture that the pump may have issues other than a bearing.  As you indicated, if there was no assist, then the pump's output pressure is insufficient, which should not be dependent on the bearing, or you have a problem with the steering gear box.  You could test the pump output by eliminating the gear box and plumbing in a pressure gauge.  Or, as Bobby suggested, spring for a rebuilt pump through RockAuto/Lares.  Since there seems to be a problem with the pump, having a rebuilt one eliminates that item from any steering issues you may encounter in the future.  Good luck.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Classic

FWIW, Paul Lares is a car guy.  Although not a CLC member, he is a CCCA member with several Classics including a 1940 Cadillac.  It wouldn't hurt to give him a call just to discuss your issue and ask advice.  1-800-555-0767
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Caddy Wizard

Bearing is the normal source of heat in a bad pump.  But if the pump was rebuilt poorly or the gears nicked during the process, it could generate heat.  Here are some pics of one I redid...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Caddy Wizard

More pics
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

Caddy Wizard

Save all of the old parts while doing the rebuild.  For some reason, I have been forced to re-use one particular O-ring to make the new kit work. 
Art Gardner

TJ Hopland

At one time I remember seeing different kits listed for various years and makes.  It appears that say Cadillac and Pontiac didn't use the same model pump the same year as each other.   Last time I went to order a seal kit it looked like at least some of the vendors have condensed things down to fewer, possibly one kit to fit them all.   Looking at photos of the kits it did appear that the difference was in the O rings.    My guess is what they have done is include the o rings for most variants in one kit and you just match up the one you need.    Looking at photos of various pumps it looks like many had the same mounts so maybe back in the day they were getting swapped around depending on what was available so a 57 could have had a 58 pump on it since 1960 so a 57 kit won't work.   Probably saves the vendors lots of complaints and returns just making a one size fits most kit. 

Interesting about a bearing causing that much extra heat and no flow.    I have never been inside one of these, mine have just been leakers.    These are gears like are typically used for engine oil pumps?  Or are they more of a piston design like a hydro stat drive system?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Caddy Wizard

Several years ago when I did my first pump, the kit cost me about $50.  Now one of the vendors is charging $160 for the kit, which is just a few gaskets, o-rings, and a small bearing (that price is a rip-off, IMO).  Heck, you can send the pump to RockAuto and have Lares rebuild it for that price.
Art Gardner