News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

frame vin number for 58 cadillac deville

Started by linda bolte, January 02, 2009, 03:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

linda bolte

When we went to license our caddie this morning, the dmv (and myself) could not locate the frame vin number.  We got the motor number, the number on the door frame but not the one under the hood.  Can anyone PLEASE help us.  They won't register our car here in Kansas without it and we simply can't locate it.  Any ideas please ! ! ! !

J Kjerrulf

On a 58' I believe it should be located directly on the frame, drivers side, front top section. If your car has surface rust on the frame it could be hidden underneath. Worse if covered in paint...
I would never, ever buy a car without confirming the frame VIN# first. Hope things work out for the best with your Kansas Caddie!
/J Kjerrulf
Eldorado Seville 1957

David King (kz78hy)

Check on the RH side, top surface of the frame in the engine compartment.  The number should be on the top surface, by the wheel house.  If  you use the dipstick as a reference, the number should be inline with it.

I hope this helps

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

The MPB says Jkerrulf is correct.  It is on the LH "drivers" side in front of the cowl. HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

David King (kz78hy)

Well, I thought maybe the Brougham's had it marked different as mine is on the RH side.  So I checked my 57 regular Cadillac repair manual and it is at the very beginning of the book.  They have a picture showing the same RH location as I described, so it must be on the RH side for all 57 and 58 models.

If you engine compartment was anything like mine, it might take a week of cleaning to get down to that area.
On mine there is a star before the number and after, so if you see that, you are getting close.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Walter Youshock

They're all the SAME number, unless the engine was changed.

In any event, you should find the number on the chassis to be sure nothing was changed.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

CLC#12231

Quote from: kz78hy on January 03, 2009, 07:25:32 PM
Well, I thought maybe the Brougham's had it marked different as mine is on the RH side.  So I checked my 57 regular Cadillac repair manual and it is at the very beginning of the book.  They have a picture showing the same RH location as I described, so it must be on the RH side for all 57 and 58 models.

If you engine compartment was anything like mine, it might take a week of cleaning to get down to that area.
On mine there is a star before the number and after, so if you see that, you are getting close.

David

Left as you face the car, or left as you are sitting in the drivers seat?
Frank

J Kjerrulf

This have become really interesting to me since my personal idea of GM styling apex is on 57/58 model year but also since I have had a thing for quickly assist people in need if possible. On the road or anywhere else and perhaps I was too quick on the typing here. I know by fact that VIN location on any series Cadillac (but Brougham) is passenger side on model year 1957. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I have never been fortunate enough to see any 1950's Brougham live, maybe one day I will...

I still believe the VIN location on a 58' Deville (beautiful car, wouldn't say no to a Sedan..) should be on the drivers side, close to the front bumper bracket area but on the top surface. No guarantee though, I have never owned a 58'. Regarding the reference towards facts stated in the repair manual of 1957 I would like to add the possibilty of differences in the 58' supplement, should be many owners of 58's here to clarify.
/J Kjerrulf
Eldorado Seville 1957

Matt Innocenzi

VIN locations for '58s are on the right (passenger) side frame rail just aft of the upper control arm.
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

David King (kz78hy)

Quote from: CLC#12231 on January 03, 2009, 07:51:57 PM
Left as you face the car, or left as you are sitting in the drivers seat?

For everyone in North America, left would be the drivers seat.  The VIN stamp on the frame is on the passenger side.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

linda bolte

Thank you so much for all your help.  With the help of the members, WD40, wire brush and some steel wool to clean off the heavy thickness of gunk, we finally found it, it does match up and Monday we can get her licensed.  Thanks again for ALL your help

Walter Youshock

"The Serial Number of all 1958 Cadillac engines is stamped on the flat machined boss cast on the upper right hand corner on the front face of the right hand cylinder block.  This number is also stamped on the top flange of the frame right hand side member foreword from and adjacent to the number one body bracket, and on the lubrication plate attached to the front face of the left door lock pillar."

(Shop Manual supplement.)

1958 was the first year they started using letters--a 58M was a 60 Special, for example.

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: J Kjerrulf on January 03, 2009, 09:27:17 PM
I know by fact that VIN location on any series Cadillac (but Brougham) is passenger side on model year 1957.
Wrong. The VIN location on my '57 Brougham is on the RH (passenger) side.
Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J Kjerrulf

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann #21015 on January 05, 2009, 02:56:52 AM
Wrong. The VIN location on my '57 Brougham is on the RH (passenger) side.
Roger
Thanks Roger, as I mentioned I've never seen any 50's Broughams IRL. Wouldn't mind having 3-4 of them ;)

I am glad to see Lindas post, that is good news. I sealed off my VIN area with a thin layer of clear coat but perhaps your DMV thinks that's a bad idea.
/J Kjerrulf
Eldorado Seville 1957

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: J Kjerrulf on January 05, 2009, 03:57:00 PM
.... I've never seen any 50's Broughams IRL. Wouldn't mind having 3-4 of them

One is enough, with all the problems this special model can have...I would never have a second one!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101